Rattlesnake Ridge

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I've driven through there a bunch of times. Not much in the area of interest, mainly industrial agriculture and the quarry. West of Yakima there is some good rafting, climbing, and 4x4 trails.

I've been following the local news coverage. I found it surprising - maybe I shouldn't have - that with the catastrophic landslide at Oso just a couple years in the rearview mirror many of the Rattlesnake Ridge residents refused to relocate when informed of the hazard. Oso was a huge tragedy, but that came as a surprise to everyone. When you can see the cracks widening daily and you choose to stay put, that's a special kind of stubborn.

More coverage here.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
It would be pretty hard to argue that the quarry has nothing to do with it...

Rattlesnake-slide-Map-W-1242x1242.jpg

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
It would be pretty hard to argue that the quarry has nothing to do with it...

The fact that the quarry company offered to put the affected residents up in temporary housing away from the slide zone would suggest that it recognizes those implications.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
The fact that the quarry company offered to put the affected residents up in temporary housing away from the slide zone would suggest that it recognizes those implications.
I noticed that, too - but didn't pay much attention until I saw the map.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
There's also a cool little graben feature at the head of the slide. There's a link to a drone flyover on one of the web pages.