HG install issues

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
I could use some help.

4.2 V8

Reman heads. Purchased on Dweb as a kit. Blew out all the holes. Thread chaser in all the holes. Triple cleaned the block surface. Cross checked the block mating surface for straightness. Nothing out of the ordinary.

This isn't my first HG. I'm having a weird issue I've never had before. Passenger side went in as usual. Nothing weird.

Driver's side wouldn't quite fall into place as it should. Bolt holes all lines up but wouldn't rest in the locating pegs. After a little wiggling I finally got it to sit flat. However. It feel like a couple of the holes are slightly off center. Usually the head bolts plop in place and thread in with 2 fingers. In particular bolt #3 is really tight. This is the top long bolt all the way to the right as you are looking at the head on the driver's side.

If I start all the other bolts I can't get this one to start. If I do this one first the others are super tight. I can't screw them down with my fingers. When I start a few at a time, tightening the #3 bolt makes the head move up and down off the block. Attached is a pic of that bolt. As you can see the bolt is in the bottom of the hole. Not the center.

I haven't even gotten pressure on any bolts yet since I can't get it to sit flat with the bolts snug. But I have lifted the head on and off a few times. I'm assuming I need another head gasket? Also I have some very light scuffs on the head machine surface from having to move the head around the locating pins in the block. That makes me worry. I've never delt with anything like this before. Usually heads just drop right on.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm sort of going crazy.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Looks like head wasnt flat when it was surfaced. Its difficult to measure at home so you may want to take it to a shop and verify.

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
Well I feel like a damn idiot. After talking to Will on the phone he gave me some tips to ensure it was sitting down correctly. I feel like a damn fool for having started a thread for no damn reason but I've never had one need persuasion to seat on the dowel pins. Once they were seated correctly everything lined up as it should.

Thanks Will for taking time out of your day to help me. Especially a Sunday. You Rock!!

XCELLER8

Sep 21, 2009
It actually started this a.m. at 7 with another guy wanting advice on a D2 with a no start issue and has been a few more calls. Everything from Marital advice to torque sequence.

Both are very similar..

my wife gets "torqued" regularly.............
:rofl: