Heads, then what else should i do

colvere

Sep 3, 2004
Filer, ID
I am going to replace head gasket on my 99 D1 with 181k miles. What else would you suggest i should do. How much more work would it be to replace cam shaft and do valves and springs or timing chain.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
This is not a comprehensive list but some other things worth considering adding to your list include -

• hoses
  • fan clutch (if old/age unknown)
  • water pump (if old/age unknown)
  • thermostat (definitely)

Since you'll be getting the heads machined it's not that much more to have the shop do a valve job - worth doing if you plan to keep the truck for a while. If you buy a set of heads they might come with the valve job already done.

If you don't draw the line you could find yourself rebuilding the entire engine, so it's up to you to determine how far down the rabbit hole you want to go in terms of time, budget, etc. in pursuing "while I'm at it" projects. Others will have good suggestions, too.

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
check with some of the vendors here, you can get drop in rebuilt heads for pretty decent price. New valves, seals, machined, etc. Thats what i did when i did mine on my d1 and d2.

I also replaced the cam on my D1, as well as lifters and push rods, water pump, spark plugs, wires, hoses and belt. It was easy with the engine opened up like that. O, also all the vacuum lines.

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
If you plan on keeping it and if it's in your budget I'd do the cam and lifters. I'm really wishing I had now that I have an intermittent tick from a lifter or rocker. I bought a kit from one of the vendors here with refreshed heads and planned on doing it in a weekend until my dropped liner surprise. You might also think about a radiator flow check/recore if you haven't yet.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I would take Will up on that. You need to make sure someone knows enough to ream out the exhaust valve guides when they do the heads. Will would know that. They need to be 7 microns bigger than they came out of the factory. Should be decked as well cause I haven't seen a straight head in years.
It's probably a good idea to get your radiator re cored cause they get pretty deteriorated.
If you decide to take the cam out then the radiator will be out already. If I remember it right I used to leave the condenser hooked up at the lines and lift it out of the way. Pivot it upward from the side with no lines on it.
Timing chain would be a good idea. If you have no dished out lifters I would run what you have.

colvere

Sep 3, 2004
Filer, ID
If you plan on keeping it and if it's in your budget I'd do the cam and lifters. I'm really wishing I had now that I have an intermittent tick from a lifter or rocker. I bought a kit from one of the vendors here with refreshed heads and planned on doing it in a weekend until my dropped liner surprise. You might also think about a radiator flow check/recore if you haven't yet.

Yes, I think that would be a good Idea, I would really like to keep it on the road for another 5 to 10 years. Which vendors?

colvere

Sep 3, 2004
Filer, ID
Thanks for All of the replies, I really want to keep it on the road. This is my daily driver and I do take it out most every weekend fishing camping or just exploring idaho, nevada and utah. the D1 has been my favorite for many years.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
When I did my heads I bought everything I needed from Will Tillery (see his offer further up on this thread). His prices beat anything else I found, the parts were high quality, shipping is fast, and his service is top notch. Best to pick up the phone and give him a call.

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
I got my head gasket kit and heads from Will. I have also had great service from Marty and Rovahfarm.

If you don't have "In Search of the Experience" you might look for it. The head gasket tutorial was very helpful to watch before tackling this job.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
If you don't have "In Search of the Experience" you might look for it. The head gasket tutorial was very helpful to watch before tackling this job.

If you don't have it you probably won't find it. I think Elias is out of copies. I have a copy and found it to be helpful guidance for wrapping my brain around the entire project before starting.

Also see this thread. Might save you some difficulties and assist your preparations.

eliaschristeas

Jul 6, 2006
Beverly HIlls
lots of guys here have done it... its no longer a great mystery. i've meant to upload the demo a million times and havent... if you need help you can PM me. its really easy. as for all the cam ideas... iirc there isnt enough room to pull the cam with the block in-situ even with the radiator out. i think you need to do a super sketchy almost blow up your ac condenser bend out of the way to get the extra 1" or so clearance...

anyway... best thing you can do for your truck... aside from everything else.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Check the lifters and measure the cam lobes.

At 250 kmi head gasket job, I found that all cam lobes were uniformly worn down by about 1/16" - replaced the lifters but left the cam (the cam arrived a little - way - late to my window of opportunity). It ran perfectly fine, and the cam replacement at 270kmi didn't make it a furious powerhouse.

Timing chain at 270kmi had nearly half an inch of slack. Yet, the engine ran fine and passed smog with flying colors (which must have been jinxed by the cam replacement).

Personally, I would not consider camshaft replacement a "Might as well" job on top of head gaskets. If you order rebuilt heads from Will, you can be "in and out" in a day. Taking off the front cover, replacing the cam and gears and oil pump and whatnot may double your time.

Reactions: tpsykes