am i crazy?

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
My DD is an 08 LR3 and I love it. It is an awesome vehilcle. Recently my commute has gone from 100 miles a day to about 8 miles a day. I am pumped. Anyway...i am seriously considering selling the LR3 and trying to find a super clean 04 D2. I know the D2 like the back of my hand. Am I crazy?

caveat: I have a D2 already that is my trail truck. I have basically repairs/fixed/replaced every single part of that vehicle due to years of beating the shit out of it. I feel like there is nothing I can't fix on a D2. Plus....I really like the way they look. I love my LR3, but just considering other options.

Thoughts?....

BarryO

May 15, 2018
Bend, OR
I love my D1. But it's a 21 year old truck. For most things, parts aren't too bad. But if I had to pay someone to do it, I couldn't afford to own it.

D1's / D2's are great if you're willing to do the work on them yourself. Otherwise, it's hard to justify them on economic terms. 'sounds like for you, what you're thinking of doing makes sense

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Buy a bicycle for the commute. Riding 16 miles a day will add years to your life. Bonus: it will be even easier to work on than a Series 1. No electronics.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Buy a bicycle for the commute. Riding 16 miles a day will add years to your life. Bonus: it will be even easier to work on than a Series 1. No electronics.

...or you can be like my father-in-law and buy a brand new bicycle for exercise. Complete with electric assist, because you know... it's hard work.

Back on topic, I've never been able to handle having more than one of the same type of vehicle at the same time. I'd go with something completely different - as an example, I have a D2 for weekend fun, but I daily drive an e93 M3. Drive something different, learn something new. The D2 is a pretty simple vehicle, but cars are cars.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
I just made the opposite switch from D2 to LR3 after having owned two D2’s. I have really enjoyed road manners the of the LR3 as a DD. A lot more space and creature comforts also. Sure I miss the character of the D2 but the benefits of the LR3 are outweighing it, for now anyway

mjbrox

Jun 30, 2008
Golden CO
Lets talk Ebikes....

8 miles is a super easy commute on an ebike. Plus you get the exercise. I know a guy in Florida who can get you a killer deal on an ebike.

PhD_Polymath

Feb 6, 2015
Slightly west of Boston
That is what I have been working on. I have a 2000 D2 for trails and a 2004 I am preparing for DD duty. I like the consistency of driving a similar vehicle. I also like that I can pull a spare from the trail truck if necessary and order in a new part while I continue motoring. The only downside is that some D2 parts seem to be harder to find compared to a few years ago, unless buying new.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
8 miles a day will choke your D2 and cause all kinds of poor running issues and endless maintenance headaches. It's not enough to get the engine hot enough to run correctly.

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
8 miles a day will choke your D2 and cause all kinds of poor running issues and endless maintenance headaches. It's not enough to get the engine hot enough to run correctly.

It is probably more like 20 miles once i get all my kids to their places...

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
If you won’t be driving it that many miles it’ll appreciate frequent Italian tune ups

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Your not crazy. Get out of the LR3 while it's still worth some money.They turn to pieces of shit pretty fast. But I wouldn't buy a Disco2. Get a Disco1. Way better.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
If you won?t be driving it that many miles it?ll appreciate frequent Italian tune ups

Indeed it will. Rover V8 engines are closet masochists.

If you want that girl to get off, you'll have to whip her a bit more than that.

Cheers,

Kennith

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Indeed it will. Rover V8 engines are closet masochists.

If you want that girl to get off, you'll have to whip her a bit more than that.

Cheers,

Kennith

Can't be stated enough. Weird LTFT and STFT, poor idling, extremely poor MPG, code after code after code, plugs lasting only days/weeks, etc, etc, etc....

Culprit? Short term commuting without long stretches of high temp driving to allow it to cook all the crap out of the motor.

Drillbit

Oct 12, 2005
Glasgow Ky
If you like driving a d2 better then do it. I have had Lr3's and they are nice. If I had a long commute it would definitely go with an LR3. For short hops it matters a lot less. Plus if you get a nice 04 D2 and keep it up someone might give you 20k for it.