Camping in Colorado

aliastel

Sep 27, 2009
Champaign, IL
Yawn.
Unfriend me on FB just to wax political here? Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

I didn't unfriend. Just cancelled Facebook completely. I am still your friend. You have my phone number and email and I have yours. Facebook isn't the end of the world, Brett. . .

David

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Ok, whew! No longer on the book of faces!? Crazy.

I would fucking love to ditch bookface, but since I spent 15 years in DC, then 2 in San Diego, then 2 in Montana, and now in WV it's really the only way I have to routinely keep up with folks. If I still lived in DC and saw most of my friends on the regular I'd certainly have dumped it.

To make it more palatable I've unfollowed most of my outrage-happy SJW friends who are generally good people in person, but on there....goddamn they're retarded.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
In the wild, in CO, over the past eleven years, yes. But, I haven't camped (but once) so I'm limited to wheeling, hiking and fishing trips in bear country.

They are in my year about every other day this year. Cannot leave food in car or windows down this year.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
They are in my year about every other day this year. Cannot leave food in car or windows down this year.
I assume you mean they're in your yard.
I had one in the back yard last summer, haven't seen any since.
Lots of deer and elk, of course.
Haven't seen the neighborhood mountain lion for a while.
I hope she's ok..
Scary, but beautiful.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
I didn't unfriend. Just cancelled Facebook completely. I am still your friend. You have my phone number and email and I have yours. Facebook isn't the end of the world, Brett. . .

David
Stopped using that a year ago.
In about January, I unfriended everyone but my immediate family.
Last month, I went to log on to completely delete the account.
It wouldn't let me log on unless I "tagged my friends in pictures".
So I just closed the browser.
Fcuk that shit.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
If you're looking for camping by a lake, here is one of my favorite spots. It's not really a "secret stash"; there's usually one or two other parties there, but it's great camping and totally legal:

https://goo.gl/maps/QpJPFu4f38H2

Another great area is the huge area south of Parlin, CO and US50. There aren't lakes but it's gorgeous and you can camp anywhere. I've never seen a soul out here:

I would have thought the first place by the lake would be relatively active...

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Exactly, fishEH!

Yes, they get into cars on the rare occasion and it's very easy for them, but unlikely at the campsite if you're around.

I depends. If your car is locked AND they cannot smell or see something, the way they get in is claws around edge of window.

Its rare around where I live that this happens and I have had bears through my yard for the past 2 weeks. An habituated bear will give up very quickly on a car without something smelly in it.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Just man up, put on your loincloth, and wrestle it while your similarly clad buddies poke it with sharp sticks.

LOL. I was hoping you would help. You would definitely be more fit for that. My female neighbors would be rejoicing.😆

I was mowing the lawn yesterday and was coming from backyard to front and the mower noise treed two Cubs. Of course I was focused 10ft in front of me so did not notice them due to noise until I was right on the tree they went up and momma was basically running back at me to protect them.

I turned of the mower, they ran down tree, probably 5 ft from me by then, cute little fuckers, momma was pissed. I would put her at 300lb. good bear. She tried to come back but I hazed her with an air horn. They fucking piss themselves when I do that.

We love to feed birds, but have stopped since we now have 4 families of bears coming through and habituation will end up with them dead.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Oh and you are not so off base. I have read a lot about animal attacks since I solo hike.

Fight a black bear, you will win. Same with Mtn lion.

Grizzly?... Act dead pronto! Not many in Lower 48 need to worry about that tho.

Last edited:

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I assume you mean they're in your yard.
I had one in the back yard last summer, haven't seen any since.
Lots of deer and elk, of course.
Haven't seen the neighborhood mountain lion for a while.
I hope she's ok..
Scary, but beautiful.

Whoops yes. You can scare the fvck out of a black or lion. Get aggressive with both if they are close.

Bull elk is most likely more dangerous. Shit I have had huge ass 8 pointer mule dear come at me vs lions and bears tend to run away.