DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 09-28-2018, 04:02 PM

That being the case, does anyone know off the top of their head a light that doesn't suck, that'll just snap into a normal Maglite bracket?

If not, what about how to find a bracket to snap one of those Nebo Slyde lights into? In practice, they seem to be the best on the market, but I can't find a single-bolt solution that fits.

I'm after those spring clips that you just shove the light into laterally, specifically for vertical mounting; or a light that fits those that are standard Mag "D" size lights.

Basically, I've got a set of brackets for a normal Mag in the rear of the DII, but every one I've ever put there has failed entirely; before I've even had a chance to use them. I'm done. For at least twenty years they've been a waste of time, and they've had their last chance now.

Cheers,

Kennith

Dan Chapman is a coward. I own a magical island.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:15 PM

Maglites are antiques now, however how does one fail? It's batteries, contacts, and a bulb.

There's a million options now from Fenix, Surefire, Nitecore, etc with various mounts, battery types, and automotive charging methods.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERover82 View Post
Maglites are antiques now, however how does one fail? It's batteries, contacts, and a bulb.

There's a million options now from Fenix, Surefire, Nitecore, etc with various mounts, battery types, and automotive charging methods.
The LED ones can get flakey. Always flickering or dim and needing a good whack then they get bright.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Old 09-28-2018, 05:23 PM

Member Trucks
Old 09-28-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:

You would think that's all there is to them, wouldn't you? Unfortunately, they still fail, and the failure mode is often indecipherable. Even those with conventional lamps crap out bafflingly. The only cause I can imagine is an extremely poor choice of materials.

They've never been good, but they're triple-shit now.

Yeah, there are a million brands out there, but none are sold here. I want to know who the heck is making something that's either the same size, or who's making a single-screw bracket that fits something else. I'm lousy with lights over here, and I only like two of them.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 09-28-2018, 07:32 PM

I've had the best luck so far with Lux-Pro. I refuse to spend outrageous money on a flashlight. My life doesn't depend on it. That said, all of these flashlights are probably pumped out at the same chinese factory with minor changes and labeling.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:45 PM

Some ideas here: http://kyotofan.info/9809-wall-mounted-led-flashlight/
Old 09-28-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
I've had the best luck so far with Lux-Pro. I refuse to spend outrageous money on a flashlight. My life doesn't depend on it. That said, all of these flashlights are probably pumped out at the same chinese factory with minor changes and labeling.
You're correct about quite a few of them. Even though some of the more expensive units get their own styling, but it's coming from the same places, and it's just cheap aluminum with thick anodizing. Quite a few factories over there are much smaller and less advanced than you'd think, and are capable of rapid adjustments as a result.

Nearly all 12 Volt air pumps/compressors, as an example, come from the same series of factories. That includes many of your favorite brands. It's sad, but true. I helped one of those factories develop a new unit that consisted partially of Viair and ARB parts, which are components in the manufacture of Masterflow and Superflow pumps sold in Harbor Freight.

That said, there are some that are worth a premium. Nebo products, as mentioned, could easily sell for three times their MSRP with different marketing. C. Crane Trek Lights are some of the most reliable and durable devices ever produced. Those cheap oval-shaped dual-LED things Harbor Freight gives away for free are solid products; and the old plastic Eveready flashlights and 6V spot lamps are always there when you need them. Pelican makes very nice lights, as well.

Surefire is hit or miss, so far as value. Sometimes it's no better than cheap junk, and sometimes it's the best in it's class. I don't consider their products overly optimized for general and utility use, though. There are better options for those scenarios. The lowly 6P in polymer is one of their best offerings.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 09-28-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
An article about a flashlight about the wrong subject, clearly key-worded to hell and back, after being translated from another language...

The pictures got the point across, though.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 09-28-2018, 09:23 PM
kj4csi

Dereelight.
http://www.dereelight.com/
Old 09-29-2018, 06:11 AM

Member Trucks
https://www.ledlenserusa.com
https://www.pelican.com/us/en/produc...al-flashlights

I have a LedLenser that replaced a Maglite as my pocket light for work. Actually, I am on my 3rd LedLenser because as much as the Maglite had it's issues, it turns ot the LedLenser has different issues...

'99 Disco II Td5
'99 P38 HSE GEMS
'75 Rover P6B 3500
'03 Aprilia Tuono RST1000
'77 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850
Old 09-29-2018, 10:26 AM

Wasn't the lighting kind of an afterthought, with the main point of a Maglite being that you could beat the shit outta someone with it?

I feel like i remember them being marketed that way...
Old 09-29-2018, 10:58 AM
Keyboard Pounder II

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkytoe69 View Post
Wasn't the lighting kind of an afterthought, with the main point of a Maglite being that you could beat the shit outta someone with it?

I've got a 3D maglight.
Fcuking thing never works when I need it, my freebie harbor freight 2AAA LED light actually works.
I keep the maglight around to bonk things on the head.
"When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Do sharks complain about Monday? No.
They're up early, biting shit, chasing stuff, being scary,
reminding everyone that they are a fucking shark.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkytoe69 View Post

That's how Surefire was marketed, as well. The difference is, one went on to make flashlights that worked.

My current irritation is that everyone seems to make twenty products designed to retain a Mag product in various ways; as if anyone is actually using the damned things. The only reason I've kept one in the back of the DII is because the mounts were available.

I have never pulled a Mag from that bracket and found it functional. NEVER. Not once. Every time I reached back there, I pulled out a light that needed replacement. I don't mean dead batteries; I mean a dead light.

Why? I don't know, and I don't care. They have no value, and it doesn't really matter why that is if it still hasn't changed in all this time.

One would think, therefore, that some industrious manufacturer would be making clips that fit lights with a reduced diameter barrel, as we commonly use today. It's important to have a proper fit. If it's right, a clip is all that's needed. If it's wrong, you'd better strap that thing in for safety.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 09-29-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-00-4.6 View Post
"When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
"When you're holding a Mag-Lite, everything looks dark."

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 09-29-2018, 12:52 PM

There are universal single screw mounts with rubber straps that will fit nearly any flashlight.

Another option is bend some metal into a simple bracket, drill your ideal radius hole, and install rubber grommets to hold flashlight snug.

If you prefer high-CRI or warm color temperature lights, check out Zebralight and Armytek.

Last edited by ERover82; 09-29-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
There are universal single screw mounts with rubber straps that will fit nearly any flashlight.

Another option is bend some metal into a simple bracket, drill your ideal radius hole, and install rubber grommets to hold flashlight snug.

If you prefer high-CRI or warm color temperature lights, check out Zebralight and Armytek.
Well, I don't know how to look those mounts up. Every term I can imagine just pulls up pipe hangers, rail mounts, and crap for handlebars. I'd be highly interested in finding those universal mounts.

I don't want to build one, though. I want to buy one. Well, I want to buy two, but whatever.

I'm quite happy with the Nebo lights, actually. The things just plain work, they're incredibly versatile, they seem largely impervious to moisture, and they take a beating as well as anything else. I also like the USB charging they offer.

Nowadays, that's the easiest way to charge something, so it just makes sense to go that route. It's perfectly reasonable in a vehicle, as well. USB may have always sucked from a computer perspective, but it's good enough to charge stuff and it's a world-wide standard.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 09-29-2018, 04:49 PM

Member Trucks
Powertac makes a good light. I've had a single 123aa model for years and it's been great. They are a Raleigh based company and I beleive they use CREE LEDs
Old 09-29-2018, 09:23 PM

These are the best flashlights I've owned.

Yes, I've got Pelicans, Streamlights, and Surefires that were not included here. They didn't make the cut.

Also not included is a pen with a light on top that I just misplaced yesterday, and the old 6V Eveready spot lamp I just forgot to put in the picture. The Polymer 6P almost made it; and it might have if it were more efficient. The aluminum 6P never stood a chance.

You don't need a crenelated bezel to knock the shit out of someone, despite what the entire market would have you believe. It's just crap to get caught up on things. That C. Crane Trek Light saved my bacon plenty of times, and it's just a plain old light; well, it was the first commercial LED unit, but the point remains.

This single image shows you how much bullshit there is in the industry. Given a choice of any single light to take somewhere tough, I'd grab anything on this desk before I'd get within ten feet of anything not on this desk.

Cheers,

Kennith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20180929_21_13_02_Pro.jpg (60.0 KB, 19 views)

Old 09-30-2018, 04:09 AM

Member Trucks
I’m surprised no one hasn’t mentioned Braun’s magnetic folding LED flashlight from Harbor Freight. I’ve got two of them for cheap with their monthly coupons.
https://m.harborfreight.com/390-lume...ght-63958.html

- 2001 Java Black Discovery 2 SE (LHD) "MYRTLE", 107K miles, 4.0L V8, SAI, Safari Gard bumpers, Warn XD9000i winch, KO2 265/75R16 on steel rims, 3" TF lift, LEDs, UltraGauge Blue, Foxwell NT510, Nanocom Evo II
Old 09-30-2018, 12:38 PM

Member Trucks
I call Mag-Lites “ Lucas lights “ in my house. I depend on my flashlight most everyday for work and have had the best luck with Fenix products. Typically I have found that you need spend between 50 and 100 dollars ( no matter which brand ) to get one that’s going to be there when you need it. I have a few cheap lights around and one of them has also been super reliable but I don’t know how to pick out the good ones from the crap in the 10 to 30 dollar range.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
I call Mag-Lites ? Lucas lights ? in my house. I depend on my flashlight most everyday for work and have had the best luck with Fenix products. Typically I have found that you need spend between 50 and 100 dollars ( no matter which brand ) to get one that?s going to be there when you need it. I have a few cheap lights around and one of them has also been super reliable but I don?t know how to pick out the good ones from the crap in the 10 to 30 dollar range.
You go below the ten to thirty dollar range to find the budget reliable units. Have a look at that Eveready in the picture. You've seen them for decades, now, and they are always there when you need them. They used to cost a dollar. They aren't the brightest lights in the world, but that was never the point. I always keep them around, and if they were rechargeable, I'd just keep those in the back of the Rover, at this point.

For the price range you specify, just buy a Nebo product. They really did hit the ground running a little while back.

That Slyde King is now, by far, my favorite flashlight. The battery lasts an incredibly long time, it's USB rechargeable, it can be focused, it has several modes, and slides open to reveal one of those bright strip lamps for more even illumination of a larger area. They even come with a screw-off rear cap with a very powerful magnet.

It's better than lights costing three to four times as much. If I can find brackets that will fit one of those, I'll be satisfied.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 09-30-2018, 02:44 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennith View Post
Well, I don't know how to look those mounts up. Every term I can imagine just pulls up pipe hangers, rail mounts, and crap for handlebars. I'd be highly interested in finding those universal mounts.
Quick Fist Clamps

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Quic.../dp/B000CQPANY
ETA: Manufacturer's website: https://www.quickfist.com/

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Dangerous time when our country is led by those who will lie about anything, backed by those who will believe anything, based on information from media sources that will say anything. Americans must break out of that bubble and seek truth.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:11 PM

Member Trucks
In all fairness to Maglite, I have a 3D that lives on the floor next to my bed and in the 15 years I have had it, all I have had to do was replace batteries and once, I replaced the lamp with an LED.
It comes on every time I hit the switch, dim if the flatteries are not great, but it does what it says on the tin.

I have yet to use it to thump someone, came close once, but it has been reliable so far.

'99 Disco II Td5
'99 P38 HSE GEMS
'75 Rover P6B 3500
'03 Aprilia Tuono RST1000
'77 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850
Old 10-01-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
In all fairness to Maglite, I have a 3D that lives on the floor next to my bed and in the 15 years I have had it, all I have had to do was replace batteries and once, I replaced the lamp with an LED.
It comes on every time I hit the switch, dim if the flatteries are not great, but it does what it says on the tin.

I have yet to use it to thump someone, came close once, but it has been reliable so far.
Do you also have a functional Optima battery?

Cheers,

Kennith