Disco 3 or 4??

Markorbell

Jan 5, 2018
New Zealand
Hi Folks
I'm considering a 2nd hand D3 or D4 and looking for advice/recommendations and issues or ones to avoid!... Thanks in advance. Cheers Mark

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
LR3 is slightly more reliable V8, more ugly, and you'll feel less guilty taking it offroad. LR4 is slightly less reliable V8, higher quality and better looking interior, better looking exterior, more power, and more features.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
LR3 is slightly more reliable V8, more ugly, and you'll feel less guilty taking it offroad. LR4 is slightly less reliable V8, higher quality and better looking interior, better looking exterior, more power, and more features.

Ha. Unless a person is s total rover geek, the look the same and I?m fact use the same body shell simply with different plastic up front and lamps at each corner. Do painted fender flares really look better... ? In white it looks sorta dainty IMO. I?m used to all black but then it?s more or less color matuchec so maybe I just don?t care that much. Unless you get a v8 lr4, I see no reason for the lr4, that v6 is just not all that much fun to drive relative to purchase cost.

The surround view cameras would be nice sometimes but as I get older all that shit seems more and more stupid and actually detracting from experiencing the world around you. However, I?d sure love some Range Rover seats in mine ;)

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Ha. Unless a person is s total rover geek, the look the same and I?m fact use the same body shell simply with different plastic up front and lamps at each corner. Do painted fender flares really look better... ? In white it looks sorta dainty IMO. I?m used to all black but then it?s more or less color matuchec so maybe I just don?t care that much. Unless you get a v8 lr4, I see no reason for the lr4, that v6 is just not all that much fun to drive relative to purchase cost.

The surround view cameras would be nice sometimes but as I get older all that shit seems more and more stupid and actually detracting from experiencing the world around you. However, I?d sure love some Range Rover seats in mine ;)

I think there are some differences in the way the body shell sets on the frame. Maybe it has more to do with the way the electrical harness gets run. But the LR4 is designed to pull the body off the frame when replacing the engine. Not sure you could pull that off as easily on the LR3.

The engine makes more power because of the direct injection and other changes. But it does come with all the standard issue fuel system problems that all the manufacturers have. That probably has more to do with the fuel than the vehicle. I havent seen as much injector problems like we did in the begining of the 5.0. That system hasn't changed so the fuel must have been changed to reduce the carbon build up I guess.

When the LR4 first came out I noticed something different in the steering geometry that makes them drive a lot better. Can't put my finger on it but the LR4 feels more better.

The smart key system could become an issue. Never really have that stuff with the old stick it in the ignition key.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
It's simple. The LR3 has a lot of exposed plastic that turns grey over time, and I'm not just talking about the flares. The LR4 painted all these surfaces and it makes a huge difference. The front end refresh made a big difference as well. The LR3 front end always looked awkward.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
It's simple. The LR3 has a lot of exposed plastic that turns grey over time, and I'm not just talking about the flares. The LR4 painted all these surfaces and it makes a huge difference. The front end refresh made a big difference as well. The LR3 front end always looked awkward.

Flares
Lower tail gate band
Side doors bottom edge band
Door handles ?

There?s nothing else. Not sure that qualifies as ?a lot? ;)

Bull bar or other steel bumper on the front and they start to look a lot more alike but it?s probably that mine is all black and I have ?re-blacked? the flares that it just doesn?t stand out as very different to me except for having 1 side vent vs 2.

I do like the lr4 front light housings but functionally they are no different and the lr4 tears I actually think look a bit crazy. At some point I may replace my fogs w hid because they output so much better (4300k) after doing so on the audi.

The main thing I prefer on the lr4 interior is the 2013+ door sill ledge when optioned with the Ext leather package. The lr3 arm rest sorta rolls off whereas that lr4 has since flat top, more like my D2.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
I think there are some differences in the way the body shell sets on the frame. Maybe it has more to do with the way the electrical harness gets run. But the LR4 is designed to pull the body off the frame when replacing the engine. Not sure you could pull that off as easily on the LR3.

The engine makes more power because of the direct injection and other changes. But it does come with all the standard issue fuel system problems that all the manufacturers have. That probably has more to do with the fuel than the vehicle. I havent seen as much injector problems like we did in the begining of the 5.0. That system hasn't changed so the fuel must have been changed to reduce the carbon build up I guess.

When the LR4 first came out I noticed something different in the steering geometry that makes them drive a lot better. Can't put my finger on it but the LR4 feels more better.

The smart key system could become an issue. Never really have that stuff with the old stick it in the ignition key.

There were definitely some suspension components changed. I know what you mean, it?s a lot more precise feeling in the lr4.

About fuel, you mean the supplies we have at pumps? Interesting. I use mostly ethanol free and having the 2nd tank can usually find another station before I need it. 52 gallons gets you a long way even at the worst mpg times but I?ve made it over 900 miles a few times. Usually at least 800 though without running empty.