Boge vs. Bilstein Springs

Britrover

Mar 8, 2014
Sunny FL
Gents,

I have been patiently fixing up my 92 RRC SWB. Just had the complete front and rear suspension overhaul completed and changed every part to get the suspension back to original standards. The only pending items are the shocks and springs. For the springs, I have decided to go with the heavy duty police spec springs. From all the reading I have done, they maintain the original ride and do give a slight lift of about an inch. Debating on the shocks and would welcome some feedback on the options I am pondering over.

OEM Boge Shocks (Believe these were the OEM option on the RRC): https://www.mm-4x4.com/boge-shock-absorber---stc3941b-8340-p.asp

Bilstein B4 OE Replacement (Black): https://www.mm-4x4.com/bilstein-gas-shock-absorber---front---each-2177-p.asp

Bilstein B6 4600 shock absorbers(Yellow): https://www.mm-4x4.com/bilstein-yellow-gas-shock-absorber----each-2787-p.asp

Would welcome thoughts from fellow members who have experience with any of these shocks.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Can't comment on the shocks, but I installed the police spec springs on my last Range Rover. They definitely do not provide the same ride as stock springs. They did add about one inch of lift but the ride was stiffer/harsher than stock coils - and that was also with blue "comfort" poly bushings. When the vehicle was loaded with people and gear the handling was great, but if you are looking for a cushy ride in an unladen vehicle you may be disappointed by what you get with the police coils.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Currently using the Yellow Bilsteins with OME HDs on my beast - '94 LWB.

However, the front has a ARB with a 10k WARN winch; And the Brownchurch rack is always on.

When we go camping, the rack is full with 4-1650 Pelis, usually 1 20L gas can and 1 20L water can.

And the cargo area is packed as well.

Unladen the ride is certainly more harsh than OEM, yet, also have 235/85-16 A/Ts which adds to the whole thing.

No doubt compared to the totally stock D1, it rides much stiffer.

The Yellow Bilsteins are costly, yet, they do dampen the springs well.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
AZ018589.JPG

Not entirely sure what the springs are - they all are progressive-rate, meaning non-stock, but they don't seem to offer as much lift as OME MD springs. Bumped the height up somewhat - 1/2" spacers and 10 mm spring packers.
The distances from the wheel arches to the hub centers are the same as on the unloaded 95 SWB with OME HD.
With about 200lb of crap in the back of the truck, 7.50-16s on Wolf wheels don't rub anywhere even on full compression.
Shocks - Bilstein stock replacement units.

There is not a single thing about this truck's ride or handling I could complain about.

Britrover

Mar 8, 2014
Sunny FL
Many thanks gents. I ended up ordering the Bilstein B6 4600 shock absorbers(Yellow) from eBay for $365 less 15% with free shipping. Listing the price for anyone else who might be in the market for new shocks. Also, ordered the matching yellow steering damper.