D1 front clip on RRC

lilmul

Mar 10, 2008
Saint John N.B. Canada
Hi everyone

Im looking for some information on changing over my front clip on my RRC to a D1 or D2 .

I have one picture and that's it .I have looked everywhere and found nothing on any conversion .

Im hoping someone here can help.

I have a 2004 for parts with the front end in perfect shape and of course my 1990 2 door RRC.

here are a picture of my RRC and the RRC with the front face lift

Thanks in advance

Tony

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Never seen it before, but I have to say I think it looks pretty decent in that photo.

That being said, it will probably require some significant work incuding transferring inner fenders, rad support, etc... and I'm guessing that's not a bolt on or even cut-away affair. Probably will need to fabricate mounting points, etc.

I'd also be really surprised if those body lines matched up perfectly. My guess would be that the pic you have is a truck that's had many hours put into the custom bodywork. I don't even want to think about trying to match up section width on the hood, etc.

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
I agree that you probably shouldn’t do that to a 2 door but I am torn. I like the looks of a classic but I think that mash up is pretty cool. If that’s how LR would have made them then that would not have stopped me from buying one.

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
I don't hate it nearly as much as I thought I would.

Would be mildly interesting to do the reverse; RRC front clip on a D1.

lilmul

Mar 10, 2008
Saint John N.B. Canada
Yes it's a 1990 model. I imported it from france in 2008

It's a factory left hand drive 2.5 VM diesel

Thanks for the input I figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone knew anything about this conversion

I'll know more when the truck gets torn this winter to be galvanized

The entire body and chassis both will be galvanized and then put back together

lilmul

Mar 10, 2008
Saint John N.B. Canada
The actual look I'm going for is to have disco 2 front clip

From what I can tell the inner fender wells are the same as a disco 1 and it's only the outers are different.

Time will tell if there are too many differences I will not do the swap over. The truck is two rare and parts are getting hard to get lol

I would like to change the dash to a soft dash because my truck doesn't have a/c

The only options the truck came with from the factory power windows and mirrors lol

It's a 400d model built in late 89

The truck also came with factory police handling package what ever that is lol

They dident even install sway bars. It's a hand full sometimes in the corners but very fun to drive

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
thats got to be 2 fenders welded together. They accent line or whatever its called is very different among the RRC, D1, and D2

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
Tony-
It is your truck, do with it as you please.

BUT, for your consideration the 2drs are already pretty rare on this side of the pond, and globally their prices seem to be rising (as RRC prices on the whole are).

I have a friend that I am willing to bet would give you pick of the litter of his ~18 RRC's + buy you a Dii to do the swap with in order to get the 2dr and prevent that from happening. I'm only kinda joking.

r-
Ray