Detroits

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
If it's primarily an overlander, why not consider a TT/TT combo?

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Is there any real downside to the Detroit locker in the rear as opposed to the TT?

Dunno, I have ARBs. And frankly, I haven't witnessed any of the issues frequently attributed to Detroit rears when wheeling with those who have them. But DWeb seems rife with stories of unpredictable behavior on side slope and greasy mud / ice conditions, so I just threw it out there as an option for an overlander vs a dedicated trail truck.

Discojunky

Apr 20, 2004
Greenville SC
I started out with a DL/TT combo well over 10 years ago. When $hit hits the fan the TT will let you down. It's better than open but it's not close to a locker.

I eventually went to an ARB up front and wish I would have sooner. The on road is better the off road is better so it's a win win.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Have the 4.11's crushed your gas mileage? I understand that is a relative question as Discoveries really like gas anyway. Just curious.
Just saw this question -

- when I swapped in a t-case with 1.4:1 high range ratio (very close to 4.11 vs 3.54 change), I saw zero changes in gas mileage (a mix of city traffic with fair amount of jackrabbit starts and highway grades at 70-75 mph).

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
If gas mileage is the answer when it comes to a gearing change, the wrong question is being asked.

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
My question really is am I going to be blown away by the performance improvement versus what I have now?

That really depends on how easily you are blown away by stuff. It also depends on how good of a driver you are off road. If you're not experienced off road now and get stuck frequently you might see minimal improvements. However, if you're already very skilled off road with open diffs you'll probably see a large improvement when you go to lockers.