New Carpet Sponges

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
After a deeper than it should have been at this time of year river crossing and a tall ice damn at the river bank to get out moment, my Disco back end has taken on some water. Most of it drained out of the same holes and seals that let it in, but of course the sponges that LR use for carpet padding are soaked and still holding that nice clean mountain water in. A full interior carpet, pad and seat removal are in the works for this week. Once that is done and rust spot clean up that I am sure I will find, is there a better alternative to the LR pads?

I don't really want to just Line-X it. Sound and water proofing and pad and carpet would be preferred.

That's what I get for following a jeep on 40's and listening to my spotter!

mjbrox

Jun 30, 2008
Golden CO
If your going to keep wheeling with those goons, then just accept defeat and remove the sponge.

After my "incident" shown in my profile pic, it took days to dry out the sponges. Later I had a sunroof leak that keep getting the rear cargo area wet, so i just removed it. Its a bit loud, but the real issue is that you hear every little gear slap etc and you constantly think your rover is going to explode. Eventually you get used to it though

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
"If your going to keep wheeling with those goons, then just accept defeat and remove the sponge. "

I just show up and drive, I never know who is going to be there.

Let the drying begin. Padding had a layer of ice on it this morning. Haven't decided which way to go yet. I will see how loud it is now since I have to go the the hardware store for a T-50, I think, torx bit to remove the front seats.

Icannap1

Mar 3, 2015
OC, CA
You can always find a D2 carpet kit with a little modification it will fit and throw away the old carpet kit including the deteriorated padding. The nice thing is if it gets wet it can easily be removed without removing the seats. The other benefit it makes the interior of your D1 quieter and the padding has better insulation to keep the heat out.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
You can always find a D2 carpet kit with a little modification it will fit and throw away the old carpet kit including the deteriorated padding. The nice thing is if it gets wet it can easily be removed without removing the seats. The other benefit it makes the interior of your D1 quieter and the padding has better insulation to keep the heat out.

I was wondering about that, I will have to take a look. My carpet is fine and a fairly rare color. I will have to go look at a DII in a salvage yard to see what I could do.