4HP24 Gearbox Failure

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
After dropping the brats at school, I stopped in front of my gate to open it, left the car idling in Neutral, and when I got in and selected Drive it made a weird "grumbling" noise and didn't go into gear.
Reverse was brief and then any selection after that was a no-go. Revving it in Drive got a short hop, enough to get it moving, and then back to nothing.
The oil level is good and the GEARBOX FAULT message comes up, but not every time I tried to work through diagnosis.

To add insult to injury, my Nanocom won't come on when plugged in. It works on my Disco, not the P38.

Any ideas?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Did you try locking CDL to make sure its the transmission and not a broken diff?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Did you try locking CDL to make sure its the transmission and not a broken diff?

If this is a P38 auto won't it have a Borg-Warner or other VCU transfer case, thereby making manual CDL engagement impossible/not even an option? If it's a manual then it might also have a manual locking center diff, but based on original post it sounds like an auto. It's been a while since I've seen the SE and DSE models with the manual transmission so I forget how they are set up.

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
If it's the P-38 I just had mine go out and had it rebuilt. I pulled into a driveway and when I put it in reverse to back out I heard a bang. The clip that holds the reverse stuff broke, the forward clutch pack was shot, too. Wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway plus the torque converter was screwed. I still had forward but no torque converter lockup so I drove it home.

Slim chance it could be the shift selector on the right side of the transmission. There are a/c drains right above it that can eventually get water inside. Or something could be wacky with the linkage.

Since you didn't shift in or out of high or low range I doubt it has anything to do with the transfer case or the selector.

Something could have come unplugged from the transmission.

Again, if it's the P-38 there's lots of stuff if you search at rangerovers.net http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
If it's the P-38...

Since you didn't shift in or out of high or low range I doubt it has anything to do with the transfer case or the selector.

Something could have come unplugged from the transmission.

Again, if it's the P-38 there's lots of stuff if you search at rangerovers.net http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/

Thanks for the reply,

It is a P38 HSE

Later diagnosing had me shift across to LOW and it made no difference.
Connectors all look good, the P, R, N, D, etc all light up on the display as I run it through the gears.
Been to RangeRovers.net and it seems the probable culprit is a flex plate failure.

It's back burnered for now, I have the head gasket to do on my Disco Td5 first and it's 4 degrees C this morning, so work will resume a bit later in the day as I don't fancy working outside in that temperature....