Grrr....Diff lock stuck in locked position

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
First...I'm far from being a Rover newbie. I've tried all the tricks that I know to "unwind" the transfer case. But I still can't get the the diff lock to unlock.

I've been driving with the diff in lock mode for about a 3 weeks while waiting for my front drive shaft to get a rebuild. Installed the new shaft yesterday and now I can't get the damn thing to unlock. It will shift fine between hi and lo while in the locked position.

Truck is a 2004 DII G4 edition.

Any ideas?

fjcardenas

Dec 3, 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
I had the same issue when I replaced my front DS. I had also been driving without the front for a few weeks. I think I just drove it up and down the driveway a couple of times and then was able to unlock the cdl. Probably not the most helpful advice but that's what I did and I worked for me.

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
Still stuck!!!

I've tried the reserve/forward/reverse/etc. The last thing I need is to break something because of the stresses caused by driving with the diff lock engaged!

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
must be something really fucked up. You can use an 11mm open end wrench on the transfer case to lock the diff. There is absolutely no force needed.
I'd unhook the rod from the transfer case and hope you can use a wrench. If you can't you have bigger problems.
I'm assuming you can't move the linkage. If that's not the problem and you still have the diff lock light on even with the lock slid over. It may be unlocked but the light is still on but I'm sure you would notice the chirping going around tight corners if it was locked.
Its common for mine to hang locked sometimes after unlocking but usually it does its thing within a block to maybe 1/2 mile of driving.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Had this same issue, found that the tcase ate a bearing...

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
Pulled the driveshaft and it immediately was able to shift between lock and unlock. I guess I should have unlocked before replacing the shaft.

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
The gremlin is back...same issue, different truck.

This time none of the tricks are working (including what worked last time). And being in the middle of an Artic freeze, I'm not happy with working on the truck (even in the insulated but unheated garage)

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Maybe the indicator light plunger is sticking in this weather? The plunger on my D1 TC has been sticking and the diff lock light has been dimly illuminated for the last 2 years. :/

Envelope

Oct 14, 2023
Arkansas
Maybe the indicator light plunger is sticking in this weather? The plunger on my D1 TC has been sticking and the diff lock light has been dimly illuminated for the last 2 years. :/
Where is the "indicator light plunger?" Ever since winter hit the light no longer comes on, but I think the CDL is still engaging and disengaging.

kris812

Jun 11, 2014
Tucson AZ
SO a forceful way to unlock mine in the past was to go in reverse at 2-3mph and yank up on the E-brake.. When I first got this Rover that was the ONLY way that worked to unlock it; but NOT recommended unless its STUCK.. After lots of usage and doing the above method more times than I care to count; a couple small turns/wiggles left and right unlocks it now.

Also taking a couple of minutes wiggling and some WD40 on the H pattern/linkage went a LONG ways!! HAD no idea it was actually more like a 8 pattern and you can lock and unlock on the fly!! And after more and more usage, the "light" started working as it should.

The problem is, many people don't use this and even the shifters get locked up. USE THEM ONCE A YEAR AS PM!

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
WD-40 is not a lubricant. If you only lock your CDL once a year as preventative maintenance you should consider owning a different vehicle.

Reactions: bri

LRDONE

Dec 3, 2020
Michigan
You just gotta play with your stick every day and one day she’ll give it to ya.

Mine was seized when I got it. Now it damn near locks and unlocks with voice command.

Reactions: bri

DiscoClay

Mar 18, 2021
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Lack of use causes the shifter shaft to rust and corrode in the passthrough hole... get up in there and spray it real good with knock-loose (et al) a few times.. let it soak for an hour or so.. then start workin it. Mine got frozen good and proper. It was damn near impossible to unstick.