Got Wood?

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
:D
I will have to replace the wood on my deck sometime this year and I'm looking for wood ideas. It's currently a redwood and about 20+ years old and splintering at all the nail holes. Cost could be a factor because it's about 800sq ft of deck!
Don't want anything "artificial" either.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
replace with cedar boy. you got the coin for that big daddy. jen won't like the pressure treated stuff. fir or hemlock can work if treated properly.

or just ditch the deck, add soil and build a nice stone retaining wall. add some nice blue stone or flag stone with some sod and presto.........you're there.

i'd opt for #2. not a huge fan of decks.

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
I would have to agree that with the size of your deck, you might enjoy a stone patio/terrace to surround the pool instead.

I know it's not your preference, but I'm currently loving the new Trex artificial stuff...it's durable and will last forever. You might even find something similar that is a renewable source and not just plasticized. What about bamboo? I don't know how it weathers.

We have a pressure-treated lumbar deck that is only 2.5 years old and it looks like crap...as soon as spring arrives we are going to be cleaning/staining it, but I would love to replace it with the artificial stuff.

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
if you stay with wood, definitely do screws instead of nails. i redid my deck a couple years ago and did all screws. takes a little more work, but more attractive and easier to maintain.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
and one reason the wood curls at the ends and pops the nails is that the nails are too close to the ends. X2 on screws.
most pressure treated lumber is garbage. if you plan on staying there and can fork out the cash then only stick to redwood. it's great stuff.
any way you can re-use what you have? i don't remember seeing it.

if you get plastic jen would kick your ass. as she should.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
all the plastic decking pretty crappy. not sure what the hype is all about. just like the plastic fencing i have seen. it's not "all that" by any means. stick to a quality grade lumber and it will last a very long time.

i would not opt for any "treated" lumber if you are going that route.

i still stay build a patio with some nice stone walls, ground covers (with little grass) and some nice natural stone as a paver. you can do all of it yourself too and nothing to ever replace with very little upkeep if any.

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
garrett said:
replace with cedar boy. you got the coin for that big daddy. jen won't like the pressure treated stuff. fir or hemlock can work if treated properly.

or just ditch the deck, add soil and build a nice stone retaining wall. add some nice blue stone or flag stone with some sod and presto.........you're there.

i'd opt for #2. not a huge fan of decks.
We have actually considered option #2 at times. I would not have chosen a "deck" myself either. We're just looking for a practical way to redo the area. Going with wood would require the least effort on my part, it looks like most of the framework is ok, its just all the top surface splintering after 20 years.
If we go with wood, pressure-trxd is not an option, I dont like cancer. Fake wood just looks too fake for us.

Kacers

Apr 25, 2005
Near Junk
I used Mahogany on a deck a little bigger than that. Since I did the labor I figured I could re-invest some of the saved $$$ back into better materials. Ages well and grain won't lift like cheaper woods. Used stainless steel screws for all decking and alot of the railing. PITA because you need to drill each hole for the screws but has lasted 8+ yrs with no lifting or issues. Shot stainless nails with the nail gun for some of the intricate railing work where screws were not an option.

I'd use it again if I had to re-do it ever. Also consider the iron-wood/Ipay stuff. I think its even harder than mahogany and have also heard good things about it.

AndrewT

traveltoad

Sep 4, 2004
SoCal - USA
We just replaced our deck with Trex. It's not bad... but it's not great either. It serves our purpose (hence why we went with it) but over all, I am not that impressed.

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
Aren't there some newer retaining methods like rails or something underneath the actual decking? So as to avoid all the holes in the surface.
Most of our damage is from the surface nail holes, boards starting to pull up, etc...