Brake light bulb replacement 98 D1

Va_Disco

Dec 22, 2014
Hampton Roads, Va.
Jump seats don't have to come out, fold them out until you can get behind them kinda... then you just have to be able to move your arms in unnatural ways.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
So I have to take the jump seat out to change a light bulb? Seriously?

Almost. It is not impossible but cumbersome to do it on a 7-seater D1.

If/when you do it, consider replacing the bulbs with LEDs. Some of the regular incandescent bulbs run long and hot enough to distort the bulb seat in the plastic housing and lose contact (it'll also be a bitch to take out and replace).
If you replace the turn signal bulbs with LEDs, you'll need either an electronic flasher relay or ballast resistors.
As much as I hate the idea of ballast resistors, they are more reliable than any of electronic flashers I've come across so far.

Frobisher

Dec 27, 2012
Pennsylvania
Jump seats don't have to come out, fold them out until you can get behind them kinda... then you just have to be able to move your arms in unnatural ways.

I've done mine several times, and Va Disco's exactly right. Last time I had them fully out, I cleaned the post threads really well and put some lubrication on them so those fasteners would come off easier. I replaced a bulb last night, and they did in fact unscrew easier.

Still, it's a pain and it takes forever to replace 1 bulb with those seats there. But, my kids still love sitting in the way back, so it's worth it. I'm intrigued by the LEDs. Maybe next time...

DougG

Oct 7, 2006
Cooperstown NY
I replaced all the bulbs today. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Took the two top pivot bolts off the jump seat and had great access after that.