windshield removal suggestions?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I have access to a 1992 parts truck that allegedly has a heated windscreen in good condition. Mine has a sizable crack and some chips, so this seems like a decent source for a replacement with a factory part that should plug & play with my 1993 SWB. Given the age of both donor and recipient vehicles, I'm planning to buy a new seal kit for reinstallation (the main seal plus the four inserts) plus a new timer relay.

I've never removed a windshield before. I'm not concerned about damaging the seals on the donor truck, but I want to take care with the wiring for the heating element and the glass. I'd appreciate any suggestions, resources, or links to a walk-through that will help me avoid screwing up the job.

For reinstallation I'm planning to take the replacement glass and seals to a shop.

Icannap1

Mar 3, 2015
OC, CA
BEFORE GOING THRU THE HASSLE of removing the heated windshield make sure that it works if there is no power to the donor you can always use a meter and check for resistance on the lines but in order to get a proper reading unplug the 2 wires from the vehicle and then check the wires going to the windshield with out being tied to the donor vehicle.