D2 door seals into a D1

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Searched with no luck. I just received a set of take-off D2 door seals from Will.

Do I need double-sided tape or do they just pop-in? The recipient truck is a '96 D1.

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
I have them on my D1 and yes, all 5 seals fit perfect if you take your time and get the corners in well.

I never put the metal foot trim back on mine after rust repair though, so I am not sure if need to remove those. You do have to remove them on the D2.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
the trim doesn't match, but thats no big deal. It compliments my 2 tone exmoor seats anyway.

metal foot trim? yours isn't plastic?

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
This was one of the best things rhat I have done for the truck. Especially when you compare the ease of the job with the benefit gained.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
This may seem like an obvious question but I want to be sure of this before I have a go at replacing my door seals with the new set I just bought:

Am I reading this thread correctly? No adhesive or other materials needed to install the replacement seals? They just manually attach to the body? This is my first time doing this so I'm hoping it's self-evident.

If you cut seals in section you will find that one half is like a hose, and other one is a support piece, with a metallic inner nerve.
You must pull them out loosening this support area from a metal flange all arround frame contour.
And inserting new seal by positioning the support groove over frame flange and pushing it.
D1 seals were produced in two different materials, bounded each other. Support area is from trim colour. Beautiful and from another time.
They were perfect when new!

Regards

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I just finished installing the new D2 door seals. It was one of the easiest projects I've done. Doors are harder to close now (that's the idea) and the interior is quieter. This is one of the best $/benefit upgrades I've made. Now to do the same on my other Rover. I encourage other D1 and RRC owners to do the same - you'll appreciate it.

Edit: Will Tillery comes through again! Got a good price on these from him.

Last edited: