Cummins R2.8

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
Are there shops now doing the engine swap using the Cummins R2.8 motor as a turn key job for a 99 Disco 2?

pdogg

Jul 18, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
D1 and RRC would seem like the more suitable "drop-in" truck.. The D2 electrics/ SLABS integration make this a hard thing to overcome.. Although you'd think the market in D2 engine swaps is prime right now.. someone with some smarts needs to work on the ECU integration to this 2.8..

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
D1 and RRC would seem like the more suitable "drop-in" truck.. The D2 electrics/ SLABS integration make this a hard thing to overcome.. Although you'd think the market in D2 engine swaps is prime right now.. someone with some smarts needs to work on the ECU integration to this 2.8..

There has been 1 D2 with 2.8 that I know of. In the link I provided, they guy says that it would be better to do a D2 with a stand alone computer vs trying to get it play nice with factory parts.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Are there shops now doing the engine swap using the Cummins R2.8 motor as a turn key job for a 99 Disco 2?

I don't know about D2, but friend of mine is getting one installed in her 1986 90 this very moment. Forget the name, but I believe it's in WV or VA. She had the 90 shipped cross country for the installation. Five minutes with the googles can probably get you a phone number and another five minutes on the phone can probably get you an answer. It sounds like an interesting problem to solve given the increased electrical complexity of the D2 over earlier models.

The 2.8 swap is pretty expensive as-is, so you would have to be deeply committed to the D2 to make that kind of investment. It would be considerably cheaper to import a 200TDI Discovery or Defender from a sunny foreign country. Depends on what you're really after, though.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I was looking at emissions rules when I saw this thread. It's something that might be convenient down the line.

There's some loopy, strange stuff in there, though. Something about the engine having to be certified by the EPA before production of that vehicle model began, or similar nonsense. I wasn't reading too carefully.

Cheers,

Kennith

pdogg

Jul 18, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
according to the EPA, this would be considered an illegal engine swap. This engine was not certified at the time of manufacture of the vehicle. But nobody's enforcing this, and the individual states are the ones monitoring local and EPA rules...

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/engswitch_0.pdf

Emission testing: I'm not sure what each individual state would say if you rolled up with a Diesel 2.8 in a vehicle that is supposed to be gasoline according to the VIN #, plug their computer into OBD2 port... from what I've heard , some places in California would fail it. Your mileage may vary.

That's why I'd stick to a pre-OBD2 vehicle.. they expect to sniff it anyways..

Last edited:

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Eh. This is one of those things that if I ever want to do, I'll just do it.

Fuck that nonsense. I'll pull a plate off of something else.

There are laws worth obeying, and then there's bullshit telling you that a more modern engine can't be installed in your car.

Cheers,

Kennith

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
according to the EPA, this would be considered an illegal engine swap. This engine was not certified at the time of manufacture of the vehicle.

I am not certain this is a correct statement. LS swaps in NAS D1, RRC, and 90/110 are legal and can even be CARB approved.

BTW, the EPA rules don't differ much for OBD-2 vehicles; 94-95 D1 would be treated the same as 96-99.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Eh. This is one of those things that if I ever want to do, I'll just do it.

Fuck that nonsense. I'll pull a plate off of something else.

There are laws worth obeying, and then there's bullshit telling you that a more modern engine can't be installed in your car.

Cheers,

Kennith

Just find a relative or a friend that lives out in the sticks. I don't have to do any inspections or testing. I'm so rural I don't think a test station will come here in my lifetime.

pdogg

Jul 18, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I am not certain this is a correct statement. LS swaps in NAS D1, RRC, and 90/110 are legal and can even be CARB approved.

BTW, the EPA rules don't differ much for OBD-2 vehicles; 94-95 D1 would be treated the same as 96-99.

I attached the rule. Read it for yourself ..

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Honestly, if you are considering dumping that kind of money into a swap, a DII probably isn't the best choice.

Why not? Ive had my D2 for 13yrs and spent a medium fortune on the thing.. Not because I had to, but because I love that truck and its more of hobby than anything.

The truck has more sentimental value than actual value.. So if it comes down to it.. I would seriously consider doing this to get more life out of the truck.

pdogg

Jul 18, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I did. It is dated 1991, so I don't know how you'd even relate it with OBD-2.

Just saying, the intwerwebs are full of recent cases where people swap engines in OBD2 vehicles and get nailed when the ECU and VIN don't match at emission testing.. AZ and CA are probably the two worst states.. Buyer Beware.. it's not as simple as some think..

that 1991 doc is still the "law of the land" ...

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
in California, unless you have a CARB exemption, the vehicle with a noncompliant engine will fail visual inspection before OBD-2 is even connected.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Emissions are being voted upon for change in my county soon, but they're not clear on exactly what's changing. Some of it will be eliminated; potentially all, but potentially nothing. They're not exactly making it easy to track.

What I was thinking was to register it with another engine if they drop it, just in case. If they ever bring it back, it's not a big deal, as the RV8 would still be in there, anyway. I'm not sure how far I'd have to go along the way.

It's just a thought, though. Most of what I'd find interesting is too new to really be something interesting or bulletproof. It all depends on what they drop, though, and how far we're allowed to go. Cummins had some old engines that were relatively small and, while not light, certainly not as heavy as some options.

Even so, you're adding a lot of weight up there.

I've even tossed the idea around of buying an old frame, and dragging it next door to have a new one constructed from scratch, and trying to go the kit car route if it's even remotely legal that way, in the hopes I can just put whatever the hell I want in there, whenever I want to.

Yeah... Hope in one hand and shit in the other. See which one fills up first.

The RV8 is actually my favorite engine, and I like the way mine runs. That doesn't mean it's always going to run, though. One day, something is going to happen, and emissions will probably be so damned tight I won't be able to do much about it aside from put a different RV8 in it.

I haven't the foggiest idea what's legal in that regard, though. I've only just begun looking into it as a future option if it's ever required.

Cheers,

Kennith

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
The RV8 is actually my favorite engine, and I like the way mine runs. That doesn't mean it's always going to run, though. One day, something is going to happen, and emissions will probably be so damned tight I won't be able to do much about it aside from put a different RV8 in it.

I haven't the foggiest idea what's legal in that regard, though. I've only just begun looking into it as a future option if it's ever required.

Cheers,

Kennith

This is pretty much me other than the Rover V8 being my favorite engine. The Rover has always been a hobby/toy for me. It's setup great now, BUT.... If money was no object. I would have already done the diesel swap and be running 1ton axles and a linked suspension on coilovers. Probably caged, maybe chopped. But still be street-able and somewhat comfortable to drive. I'm thinking Ultimate Adventure type build.