What will your next vehicle be?

gimebakmybulits

Dec 11, 2013
Pasadena
Without actually tallying things up, it seems like most folks here are NOT looking to buy new/used Hand Bags as their next vehicles.
Good thing Jaguar Hand Bag gives no fucks about people like us, or perhaps they'd begin to worry about losing a demographic.

I picked up my 2011 RR Sport Lux for $25,000. It had 43k miles on it and the 7yr/100k extended warranty that is good till Aug of 2020....I'm digging my Hand Bag.
The Sports are a dime a dozen out here in LALA Land so good deals are plentiful.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
How's the rust? Every Dodge I see looks like swiss cheese. I had an '05 Dodge Grand Caravan that was rusted to bits in less than 10yrs. Sills, rear door, hood all with big gaping holes.
My friend bought a 15 or 16 Dodge Grand Caravan and I noticed it already has significant rust bubbles under the paint on the hood.
I know the pickups all rust out in the rear wheel arches.
Between the rust and transmission issues on my 05 I won't buy another Dodge product. We've been very pleased with our 15 Honda Odyssey, and no signs of rust!

My next vehicle will be a pickup of some sorts, either full size or something Tacoma sized.

Having had it in DC area (until a year ago) since I bought it used in 2010, only have a rust spot under paint on front quarter panel. Aside from that, no other rust I've noticed. No major issues so far aside from the AC actuator that needs to get fixed (doesnt switch output as selected). Been a great truck so far, going on 190k miles. I have the Sport version and the interior is nice but definitely not the real leather so to speak. Had a recall on driver and passenger seat bottoms a few years ago, had them replaced and one is cracked. Not worth spending a grand replacing. Good thing about Dodge trucks imo at least they have wheel well covers. Other trucks do not from what I have seen. I do love the full size size; can't say I would have been able to get away w a Tacoma size bed. I have the shorter bed but full size rear doors. Would def get the same exact setup if I were buying new. I test drove a Tacoma back in the day and it felt crammed and plasticky to me, plus the Hemi has some power for sure. I know they make 1500s in diesel now, if that's smth worth looking into. Had a V6 for a rental and that thing drove like a retarded Santa sled; no power at all.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
to work to make money to buy fuel

Thats exactly right.. That said Im looking to trade my Hyundai that gets 30mpg for an F150 ecoboost so I can use it as a daily driver/tow rig/ light camping or overlanding truck.

The Rover is becoming too much of a one trick pony and driving it long distances on pavement isnt all that much fun.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Thats exactly right.. That said Im looking to trade my Hyundai that gets 30mpg for an F150 ecoboost so I can use it as a daily driver/tow rig/ light camping or overlanding truck.

The Rover is becoming too much of a one trick pony and driving it long distances on pavement isnt all that much fun.

Next year's F150 is supposed to get Land Rover's Td6 at 22/30/25 mpg 2wd and 20/25/22 mpg 4wd.

Aluminum body, Td6, 4wd with two speed xfer case. Sounds familiar..

Maximumwarp

Mar 22, 2015
Fairburn GA
Next year's F150 is supposed to get Land Rover's Td6 at 22/30/25 mpg 2wd and 20/25/22 mpg 4wd.

Aluminum body, Td6, 4wd with two speed xfer case. Sounds familiar..

Those are hitting dealerships right now, but you pay a hefty price premium for that motor, and it's only available on the higher trim levels. I think I saw one advertised close to $70k? The power, towing, and payload numbers are better on the EcoBoost trucks. For the price you pay for the 150 diesel, you could get a 250 diesel one step down in trim level and have an infinitely more capable truck.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Those are hitting dealerships right now, but you pay a hefty price premium for that motor, and it's only available on the higher trim levels. I think I saw one advertised close to $70k? The power, towing, and payload numbers are better on the EcoBoost trucks. For the price you pay for the 150 diesel, you could get a 250 diesel one step down in trim level and have an infinitely more capable truck.

Yeah Ill be looking at certified preowned. I cant spend $70k on a truck or any vehicle for that matter.

Im pretty much set on the ecoboost. On the way home from a recent wheeling trip I was cruising in my Rover at 70mph when my buddy blows by me in his F150 towing his Rover. He was getting roughly the same MPG as my Rover except he was way more comfortable!!

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
I was able to configure a 4x2 Lariat SuperCab 6.5ft bed and 3.0 Td6 on the website for 45k msrp. 4x4 SuperCrew was about 51k.

Maximumwarp

Mar 22, 2015
Fairburn GA
I was able to configure a 4x2 Lariat SuperCab 6.5ft bed and 3.0 Td6 on the website for 45k msrp. 4x4 SuperCrew was about 51k.

Base Lariat 4x4 with no options aside from the diesel is $51k, yes, and you can't get them in a trim level lower than Lariat. Diesel looks like it adds about $3k over the 5.0 gas. The one I saw advertised was a pretty well equipped diesel.

Last edited:

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
If I have to replace the car, I'm going for a 4wd Ford Explorer. Maybe a year or two old.

If I have to replace the RRC, I'd get a 2009 or newer Range Rover.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Yeah Ill be looking at certified preowned. I cant spend $70k on a truck or any vehicle for that matter.

Im pretty much set on the ecoboost. On the way home from a recent wheeling trip I was cruising in my Rover at 70mph when my buddy blows by me in his F150 towing his Rover. He was getting roughly the same MPG as my Rover except he was way more comfortable!!

Our Expedition has the ecoboost engine and I'm very impressed with it, especially for being in a very heavy (over 7k) vehicle. Much more power than the V6 in the 2014 Silverado we had.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
EcoBoost is just a fancy term for a turbo with a tune biased towards fuel efficiency, correct?

They're using smaller, turbocharged engines to meet the performance of more traditional unit, which is not unique in the industry these days. Nearly everyone is trying the same thing.

The Ecoboost line is impressive. They perform as advertised, and it's an interesting lineup. Hidden away in there are some of the very few V6 engines that don't feel like a V6. The 1.0 three cylinder unit was outstanding to drive, as well. Shame it doesn't seem to be around here anymore.

Ford stuff has become a bit boring lately, though. For a few minutes their range looked to become exciting, and then they just gave up.

The Bronco is on the horizon, and that's something. I'm surprised they didn't partner with Land Rover to share a platform with the Defender, actually. It would have been a good fit. Maybe they did...

The new Ranger comes along with it, and the new Raptor. I believe it's reasonable to expect a "Raptor" Bronco, as well; kitted out for trail duty off the rack.

A diesel Bronco would be a good idea, as well as a Ranger, and that's where that TD6 would make the most sense if it's light in relation to other offerings here. I've no idea how much it weighs, though. I know it's compact enough for such a job, but the weight will be a deciding factor.

Cheers,

Kennith

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
EcoBoost is just a fancy term for a turbo with a tune biased towards fuel efficiency, correct?

It’s a combination of tech: Twin-scroll turbo chargers, direct injection (plus port injection on Gen 2), variable valve timing, and modern engineering to make it all work together well.