how to reset adaptive values

A

a2tripp

looking for clarification on steps needed to reset ecu's adaptive settings on a 96 discovery. Will disconnecting the battery work?

A

a2tripp

thanks for your reply, is there no way to do this without a computer? I am in a very remote location and the local garage here says that they can't do it.

Jan 26, 2008
In the bunker
I've never tried this but I remember something about disconnecting both battery cables & touching them together to discharge the capacitors in the ECM, "resetting" it.
Probably an old wives tale, but it's free & can't hurt anything.

peter sherman

May 10, 2004
Fake Forest, IL
group captain mandrake said:
I've never tried this but I remember something about disconnecting both battery cables & touching them together to discharge the capacitors in the ECM, "resetting" it.

nop!

A

a2tripp

disconnecting a battery for 8 hours and contacting the terminal on a 96 disco is a myth, it does not work. there is no land rover dealer within 600 miles, what kind of of scan tool that a independent garage would have would be able to reset the adaptive values?

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS

that is a "hard reset". Hold the cables together for 10 seconds.

Don't know if it works on a D1 though. Try it and see.

A

a2tripp

trying to solve a high idle issue, I have ruled it down to ecm i think, I was hoping that that I could flash the ecm to see if that helps.

long story is the I have a rough idle/ stall issue going on since I bought this under-maintained 96 5spd. I idle about 2k sometimes jumps to 1.5K, 600 or stalls. Does this warm or hot. checked hoses, new stepper, swapped tps, seafoam, plugs, and more jank that i cant remember, all with no change. I have searched posts and followed the the electrical diagrams and they all seem to point to the ecm. I know that the po screwed around with the idle screw, I think thats the cause of my stall, but i cant figure out the high idle. Theres nowhere to take it, and pretty soon I am going to lose the clutch. So theres my need to flash the ecm. Im not sure of anything though, so any help would be great.

Also I get codes for misfire on #4, replaced the plug, the pold one reeked like fuel, and you can definately here it in the tailpipe. maybe that will help

...I wonder how many words that post was
thanks

peter sherman

May 10, 2004
Fake Forest, IL
I don't know what "nop" means.
I assume you mean: "That is an old wive's tale."
It probably is.

Sorry I was not clear! Your assumption of my assumption is correct.

#4 fuel injector sounds like it is leaky or a ignition bad wire
if the po messed witht hte base idle try to reset that
you may have an air leak as well

A

a2tripp

yeah putting the cables didnt do a thing, worth a try though, im going to do a compression check to #4, i also need to replace my fuel filter too, hopefully that and the new mag wires (if they ever get here) and new plugs will fix the dtc's. The idle problem is slightly better after adjusting the idle screw. I also capped the intake for the breather hoses, and am going to replace those just in case. The po had a box of parts, including a coil pack, tps, stepper, maf, coolant sensor, map?, crank sensor, etc.. he just gave me, starting to think this has been a issue for some time. Either way a 2k idle sucks!

swede

Aug 27, 2007
on my DII i changed the MAF and the car ran like s**t. Black clouds behind. Tried to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, but no change.

Was going to take her to the dealer for a reset of the ECU but when i took a week. During that time I accidentaly left some light on and drained the battery. After rechargeing she ran beutifuly. No black smoke.

This lead me to beleave that there is some sort of reset when the batteries are disconnected for a time.

A

a2tripp

replaced breather, as soon as the weather breaks I will be changin the fuel filter, probally could do a pressure check after that. You thinkin an injector?