My favorite hotel finally got a makeover!

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
http://www.cavalierhotel.com/

It's a wonderful place, and I've accumulated some cool stories there, but you generally had to be okay with a very old property that needed some work here and there. One time I stayed I was crawling around in the ceiling helping someone track down a wiring issue with my A/C. :rofl:

It's seriously awesome, though; certainly my kind of luxury. It was in danger of being torn down for a while, there. Thank goodness that investor showed up and convinced everyone to let it be reborn.

The place is hard to describe if you haven't been. You just need to experience it, and if you show up at the right time, the hunt club may be open, where wild game is served by some hot-shot chefs who occasionally provide an outdoor dining experience.

I'm sure they're not done yet, but it'll be cool to see how far they've made it. That place has some serious history; so much so that the brick sidewalks still show depressions from wagons. Actually, you should probably be careful about that. I would imagine someone could trip and fall.

Worth it, though.

There's alway something interesting going down in that place, and that's the only location on Earth that allowed me to actually hypothesize about "ghosts". Crazy evening, that one. If they're real (I remain unconvinced), they are fucking strange.

It'll be nice when my ass is back enough in gear to drop the cash on stuff like that again. I don't know what's going on so far as trails in the area, but it would be a neat place to hold a Rover event.

Anyway, if you want to spend some time in a proper hotel, it's hard to find a better experience.

Cheers,

Kennith

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
Buddy had his wedding reception at Cavalier Hotel, it was really nice. We looked at having our wedding reception there as well (wife is from VA Beach) but decided against it. No a/c in the ballroom and some other things that they are correcting with the renovations they are now doing. Had it at the Cavalier Golf & Yacht Club instead.

Hotel definitely has a storied past, both good and bad. Wasn't all that long ago that unless you were white and non-jewish, you were even allowed as guests.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
hum, it is a Marriott property as well.

might be worth burning some points on.

thanks!

It is certainly worth it; especially since they re-opened the distillery.

Imagine kicking open those old doors after so many decades and dusting off the barrels...

Cheers,

Kennith