Painless wiring dual battery wiring kit

B

Badfysh

i'm interested can you snap a photo please. i have the dual tray just need a wiring kit.

chuck c

Sep 11, 2006
Where do you put the second battery in a Disco? I can't see a hole big enough! I've been eyeing the jack storage, but would have to relocate the power steering tank.

crown14

May 11, 2006
Clayton, NC

40102.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]250-AMP DUAL BATTERY
CURRENT CONTROL SYSTEMS
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Our 250 amp dual battery controller includes a three position switch to control the second battery through the operation of the solenoid. Switch position one isolates the second battery. Position two connects the battery while the ignition is on. Position three connects the second battery at all times. Kit includes solenoid, switch, preterminated wire/connectors, fuse holder, fuse and mounting hardware. For applications in which the system may be exposed to the elements, such as marine, use our weather resistant kit #40103
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]this kit is $100 at summit
[/FONT]

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
chuck c said:
Where do you put the second battery in a Disco? I can't see a hole big enough! I've been eyeing the jack storage, but would have to relocate the power steering tank.

You replace your stock box. There are some vendors that carry the dual box for the DII I just can't think of them right now but it is out there.

Cheers,

Mike

E

ewen

It sound s like this kit is controlled manually??? Or does it automatically control charging in the 3 differrent positions?

chuck c

Sep 11, 2006
Hmmm Does this double box fit a D1? I think I could put together a more automatic kit for less than $100 or even $75, just need a place for the battery.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
chuck c said:
Hmmm Does this double box fit a D1? I think I could put together a more automatic kit for less than $100 or even $75, just need a place for the battery.
I removed my jack, cut the air horn off the airfilter box and mounted a second battery there.

chuck c

Sep 11, 2006
Right, that's along the lines I'm thinking. A solenoid or relay that kicks in once it's running to charge battery #2 and disconnect it when the ignition is off. But this has problems:

1. The wiring and solenoid to #2 has to be able to stand full engine-cranking current draw. If #1 is dead, the full load will be pulled from #2. That's ok if the wiring is heavy enough and it's a regular starting battery, not a deep cycle. A deep cycle would be quickly ruined by that kind of use.

2. Starter solenoids are not made for continuous "on" like that. I don't think it would last very long.

3. Deep cycles are more useful as the #2 for running steady low to medium draws, from electronics to winches.

There is another type of kit that uses a set of diodes to isolate #2. Current can go to #2 to charge it but not back into the vehicle's system. You then connect accessories to #2 and run it dead, #1 is still good. It has no switches, it's automatic. I've used one and it worked great. Its only disadvantage is that the diode costs about 1/2 a volt, very slightly reducing the charge you can get into #2, but that's pretty minor.

A few times it would have been great to have a switch to bypass that diode box to recharge #1 from #2 when I ran it dead. The problem there is if it's very dead it's nearly the same heavy load as starting which deep cycles don't like. So how to do it without killing the deep cycle?

I plan to use the store-bought diode type isolator kit. I'll add a switch, relay, resistor, and wire to bypass it to let power back to #1 at a safe rate, like 10 amps. Using it this way in emergencies won't kill the deep cycle. You'd just have to give it some time to transfer power from #2 to #1 and flip that switch off before you hit the key.

If you only plan to use #2 for emergency starting and use a starting battery not a deep cycle, a starter relay might work, but I'd a really heavy one.