DiscoWeb Message Boards
 

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-21-2018, 07:09 PM
WeBeCinYa WeBeCinYa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 95
Member Trucks
With anything there are ranges on these. Rust=zero to me, that is the starting point. Below is an example of what appears to be a decent truck with 5spd.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/cto/d/...504430659.html
__________________
1973 Series III
1991 Range Rover Classic
1994 Defender 90
2006 LR3 SE
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-21-2018, 07:40 PM
K-rover's Avatar
K-rover K-rover is offline
Keyboard Pounder II
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,838
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
With anything there are ranges on these. Rust=zero to me, that is the starting point. Below is an example of what appears to be a decent truck with 5spd.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/cto/d/...504430659.html
Id like to know how "rust free" it actually is considering its spent the last 9yrs in a coastal town.
__________________
2001 D2
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-21-2018, 08:13 PM
mgreenspan's Avatar
mgreenspan mgreenspan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Briggs's Back Yard
Posts: 4,350
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rover View Post
Id like to know how "rust free" it actually is considering its spent the last 9yrs in a coastal town.
Rust free to most people means the paint is good and I don't see rust when I climb into the driver's seat.
__________________
Land Rover Only 2 Complaints
Last too long Look too good
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-21-2018, 09:00 PM
discostew discostew is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
Damnit Stew, now I'm looking at Discos on Craigslist.
I do what I can. I finally got mine up to the shop. I'll post some pics, I should be getting started on it soon.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-21-2018, 09:03 PM
discostew discostew is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Rust free to most people means the paint is good and I don't see rust when I climb into the driver's seat.
Disco 1 will rust from the inside out. A lot can be learned about how solid a truck is when you take a front fender off and get a look at the support that runs behind it. I've had trucks I thought rust free and find that support rotted thru.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-21-2018, 09:07 PM
mgreenspan's Avatar
mgreenspan mgreenspan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Briggs's Back Yard
Posts: 4,350
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
Disco 1 will rust from the inside out. A lot can be learned about how solid a truck is when you take a front fender off and get a look at the support that runs behind it. I've had trucks I thought rust free and find that support rotted thru.
That's what they all do. It's there somewhere just have to find it.
__________________
Land Rover Only 2 Complaints
Last too long Look too good
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-22-2018, 10:33 AM
Blueboy's Avatar
Blueboy Blueboy is offline
Keyboard Pounder II
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Posts: 1,903
Member Trucks
Quote:
Disco 1 will rust from the inside out
Same for a RRC - maybe worse because of the steel subframe the body attaches to.

Is there anything one can do to prevent this on a D1 other than not driving it?

I'm so paranoid on the RRC that it never ever gets driven during the Winter except on the driveway.

Both are in a heated garage so at least they are dry.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-22-2018, 03:09 PM
AbnMike AbnMike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 732
Member Trucks
I turned down $8,000 for my lifted rust-free 1996 Discovery 1.

I think it's worth $9-10k. Wasn't needing to sell. The guy ended up with another one somewhere in that same price range from NY somewhere last I heard.

I think the D1s are definitely on the way up, not so much the D2s, but some D2s could get some price-love by people buying into the rising Discovery trend who don't know the difference.
__________________
-------------------------------------
(I like old, unreliable stuff that keeps me from spending too much time surfing porn)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-22-2018, 04:09 PM
kade's Avatar
kade kade is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rover View Post
Id like to know how "rust free" it actually is considering its spent the last 9yrs in a coastal town.
Not rust free. It popped up on the for sale threads too
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-23-2018, 10:52 AM
discostew discostew is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
That's what they all do. It's there somewhere just have to find it.
I think if you kept a brand new Disco1 in a perfect environment it's whole life it would start to rust in all the places we know about. Eventually they learned the dis similar metals lessons. You have an aluminum door skin bonded to a steel door frame. You have the aluminum front fenders bolted to the steel reinforcement apron. Then back at the rear door strikers you have a large steel frame cross brace back behind that area.

That's why saying your basically getting a brand new disco for 40 grand is a stupid claim. I could probably keep a good solid Disco for the rest of my life. But our kids won't. Even the museum pieces will be junk.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-23-2018, 11:15 AM
discostew discostew is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
That's what they all do. It's there somewhere just have to find it.
I think if you kept a brand new Disco1 in a perfect environment it's whole life it would start to rust in all the places we know about. Eventually they learned the dis similar metals lessons. You have an aluminum door skin bonded to a steel door frame. You have the aluminum front fenders bolted to the steel reinforcement apron. Then back at the rear door strikers you have a large steel frame cross brace back behind that area.

That's why saying your basically getting a brand new disco for 40 grand is a stupid claim. I could probably keep a good solid Disco for the rest of my life. But our kids won't. Even the museum pieces will be junk.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-23-2018, 11:52 PM
YellowIron YellowIron is offline
Still Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
I've read and heard maybe the price curve on some of these Discos is on the way up. Not sure how nice a Disco would have to be to fetch 10 grand.

I've built a hand full of trucks like this and usually end up with right around 8 grand in them and nobody willing to spend that much. People might be getting interested but I'm not sure the price is moving yet.

This is why I thought it was silly to think about a $45,000 Disco with the wrong shit hacked into it. No more a NEW Disco than the ones any of us are driving or building now. If the price curve acts anything like it did with say Chevy, then there are lessons learned on how to play it. Special editions will be worth more. Anything that makes one of them significant. Like my neighbor has made a career out of selling chevy restorations and parts for restorations. He would find a car someplace and know enough about vin #s and the history of those cars to identify the real valuable shit. Like he found a Yanko Chevelle that he knew had to be a real early one. Come to find out it was Yanko Chevel #1 still had paper work showing it was Don Yanko's daily driver. Sold that car for crazy money fully restored. So I think a Camel Vehicle or a Trek vehicle would be good candidates.

Damn Stew, I got your panties in such a bundle that you started a thread about price curves with a goal to seemingly disprove my estimated value numbers. Bravo.

What have you built for $8000 that lacks interest needed to bring you to the point of completing a sale at a profit? You accuse me of being a tool who believes I have the auto business figured out, yet here you are stating you can't bring the value add factor into what you build. Is it because your marketing of said money losing builds have poor usage of your and you're?

There are 2 price curves. One for the rare and special limited edition type vehicles that you mention, and another for resto-mod vehicles. A matching numbers Mustang, Challenger, or Camaro will certainly bring the most at the auction block, yet a similar vintage vehicle with dissimilar numbers built with a factory and period correct restoration will bring great money as well. A resto-mod done well, using tasteful design and engineering adaptations will often bring similar money as the car with dissimilar numbers.

The price curves are dependent on scarcity of supply. When you factor in the value of nostalgia and allow that variable to naturally or artificially grow you'll build demand quicker. Everyone wants what they can't easily have, so if supply becomes increasingly constrained demand tends to accelerate and compound regardless of whether scarcity of supply is natural or artificially caused.

Ask your Chevelle buddy what happened to the price curves when supply of virgin iron dried up. Then ask what happened when the supply of everything else dried up. There was a time when a half rotted vintage muscle car was worth scrap weight. Those days are long gone. When that market took off a vehicle that used to be obtainable for a blue collar man to restore in his garage began being bought up by industry men to break, crate, and inventory for resale to a whole new market of wealthier buyers.

The American muscle car market is a prime example of early players capitalizing on watching the pricing curves and using their capital to further their profits by creating supply constraints. They saw that nostalgia created a demand that naturally increased when they reduced supply artificially. That market was made, thats where the term Market Maker comes from. Rather than letting the muscle cars go through the motions of your average vehicle the industry players hoarded supply and marketed its new found scarcity while appealing to the emotion of nostalgia.

This same analytical approach can most likely be applied to the D1 and RRC supply as has already been in play with NAS Defenders. I do not know where we are on the curve at this current time, but I see variables at play that will probably cause it to follow a similar pattern to the above mentioned vintage muscle car market.

All in all, you're basing your argument off of poor analytic theory from the start. There are 2 curves. Just like there is your and you're. Not everything is singular, except maybe your inability to profit off of vehicles you build. You're wrong, your logic is flawed.

Camel Trophy originals with great papers belong in the matching numbers curve, all of the rest goes into the driven collectables curve. Just like there is You're and Your, there are also 2 curves. Some markets have even more than 2 curves, multiple curves for the same core concept. Kind of like There, Their, They're. Look to your there's and find your answers, Stew.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Blueboy's Avatar
Blueboy Blueboy is offline
Keyboard Pounder II
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Posts: 1,903
Member Trucks
Very good points.

However thinking the potential buyer size for what you described is much greater than what is there for Landie Rovers. There were not even many sold when new.

NAS Defenders were in even lower numbers and while there are enough folks out there to make a nice back log for ECR, not sure the same will be the case for the RRC or D1.

Personally after owning a 2003 110 5 door SW in Brasil and 1995 NAS 90 in the US, I?ll take my RRC and D1 over both.

Time will tell as far as value yet in the meantime I?ll enjoy driving them.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-24-2018, 01:01 PM
D Chapman's Avatar
D Chapman D Chapman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On Kennith's private island
Posts: 11,223
Unless the vehicle is a stock, clean example, modified trucks don't bring much money - of that much money. The link is gone so I can't see.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-24-2018, 02:10 PM
discostew discostew is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowIron View Post
Damn Stew, I got your panties in such a bundle that you started a thread about price curves with a goal to seemingly disprove my estimated value numbers. Bravo.

What have you built for $8000 that lacks interest needed to bring you to the point of completing a sale at a profit? You accuse me of being a tool who believes I have the auto business figured out, yet here you are stating you can't bring the value add factor into what you build. Is it because your marketing of said money losing builds have poor usage of your and you're?

There are 2 price curves. One for the rare and special limited edition type vehicles that you mention, and another for resto-mod vehicles. A matching numbers Mustang, Challenger, or Camaro will certainly bring the most at the auction block, yet a similar vintage vehicle with dissimilar numbers built with a factory and period correct restoration will bring great money as well. A resto-mod done well, using tasteful design and engineering adaptations will often bring similar money as the car with dissimilar numbers.

The price curves are dependent on scarcity of supply. When you factor in the value of nostalgia and allow that variable to naturally or artificially grow you'll build demand quicker. Everyone wants what they can't easily have, so if supply becomes increasingly constrained demand tends to accelerate and compound regardless of whether scarcity of supply is natural or artificially caused.

Ask your Chevelle buddy what happened to the price curves when supply of virgin iron dried up. Then ask what happened when the supply of everything else dried up. There was a time when a half rotted vintage muscle car was worth scrap weight. Those days are long gone. When that market took off a vehicle that used to be obtainable for a blue collar man to restore in his garage began being bought up by industry men to break, crate, and inventory for resale to a whole new market of wealthier buyers.

The American muscle car market is a prime example of early players capitalizing on watching the pricing curves and using their capital to further their profits by creating supply constraints. They saw that nostalgia created a demand that naturally increased when they reduced supply artificially. That market was made, thats where the term Market Maker comes from. Rather than letting the muscle cars go through the motions of your average vehicle the industry players hoarded supply and marketed its new found scarcity while appealing to the emotion of nostalgia.

This same analytical approach can most likely be applied to the D1 and RRC supply as has already been in play with NAS Defenders. I do not know where we are on the curve at this current time, but I see variables at play that will probably cause it to follow a similar pattern to the above mentioned vintage muscle car market.

All in all, you're basing your argument off of poor analytic theory from the start. There are 2 curves. Just like there is your and you're. Not everything is singular, except maybe your inability to profit off of vehicles you build. You're wrong, your logic is flawed.

Camel Trophy originals with great papers belong in the matching numbers curve, all of the rest goes into the driven collectables curve. Just like there is You're and Your, there are also 2 curves. Some markets have even more than 2 curves, multiple curves for the same core concept. Kind of like There, Their, They're. Look to your there's and find your answers, Stew.
Don't flatter yourself. I've written you off as an idiot. Just trying to get the real value on a Disco. Not your stupid ass pipe dream. I only got one sentence into your post. So shove the rest up your ass.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-24-2018, 06:37 PM
YellowIron YellowIron is offline
Still Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
Don't flatter yourself. I've written you off as an idiot. Just trying to get the real value on a Disco. Not your stupid ass pipe dream. I only got one sentence into your post. So shove the rest up your ass.
I'm not trying to flatter myself. The farm I work on is telling me to write this stuff. I am just following orders and trying to be a good comrade.

Apparently all of your shitposting in the Trump thread really ruffled some feathers.

This picture should clear things up a bit for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meddling.JPG (164.0 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-24-2018, 08:25 PM
discostew discostew is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
Same for a RRC - maybe worse because of the steel subframe the body attaches to.

Is there anything one can do to prevent this on a D1 other than not driving it?

I'm so paranoid on the RRC that it never ever gets driven during the Winter except on the driveway.

Both are in a heated garage so at least they are dry.

Thanks!
I don't think even that would solve it completely. With the classics your into a few years they didn't treat the hardware cause something about the process was bad for the environment. Jags had the same shit in those years. Classics started rusting out after 4 years.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-26-2018, 05:03 PM
Blueboy's Avatar
Blueboy Blueboy is offline
Keyboard Pounder II
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Posts: 1,903
Member Trucks
Thanks for the insight.

Well, it is all I have plus cleaning the underside afterwards whenever I drive them.

So far, knocking on wood as I write this, both are in good shape rust wize from what I can tell.

The RRC was taken apart for a respray before taking it to Europe so know that is pretty rust free.

My mechanic on the D1 tells me everything that he has worked on was rust free, yet, that is the mechanical side.

Short of never driving them it is the best I can do.

Thx again.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-26-2018, 05:09 PM
Tugela's Avatar
Tugela Tugela is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
Short of never driving them it is the best I can do.
Where's the fun in that?
__________________
"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing,
once they have exhausted the alternatives." Winston Churchill


1998 Discovery LSE
1993 Range Rover County Sport
Global Exploration and Recovery, LLC
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 PM
Blueboy's Avatar
Blueboy Blueboy is offline
Keyboard Pounder II
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Posts: 1,903
Member Trucks
Exactly and agree with you.

Will though continue to try and keep them from the tin worms.

The use of salt and even worse liquid calcium mixture takes them off the road for the Winter. They go into hibernation in the garage for the most part of Winter.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-27-2018, 09:13 PM
AbnMike AbnMike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 732
Member Trucks
So the D1 Trek that sold on ExPo in Jan for $12,500 just sold on BAT for $22xxx
__________________
-------------------------------------
(I like old, unreliable stuff that keeps me from spending too much time surfing porn)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-27-2018, 09:27 PM
jymmiejamz's Avatar
jymmiejamz jymmiejamz is online now
KN4JHI
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 5,285
I saw that yesterday. I can't see paying more than $15k for a Disco.
__________________
@carcampingcollective
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-28-2018, 01:01 AM
mgreenspan's Avatar
mgreenspan mgreenspan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Briggs's Back Yard
Posts: 4,350
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbnMike View Post
So the D1 Trek that sold on ExPo in Jan for $12,500 just sold on BAT for $22xxx
Was there any work done besides the usual flipper changing fluids?

I think BAT is a joke now.
__________________
Land Rover Only 2 Complaints
Last too long Look too good
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-28-2018, 12:10 PM
AbnMike AbnMike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 732
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Was there any work done besides the usual flipper changing fluids?

I think BAT is a joke now.
BAT is very trendy for sure, lots and lots of snark and less and less "car guy" though they do come out and add to the commentary for unique vehicles.

From what I can tell the seller didn't do anything other than:

1: move it to a more sell-friendly location.
2: put it on BAT for a wider audience (over the niche Expedition Portal)

The seller did, however, stay very involved in the auction process, answered all kinds of questions and did it smogged in CA. The fact it sold just a couple months ago wasn't hidden either. There's some dude on there named Michael who is apparently all angry that it was sold by a "flipper" and tried to drive down the price by pointing out it had just sold on ExPo and is now on ExPo telling people to beware of "flippers"

If some dude buys a car low and sells high, more power to him.

Personally I hope it starts dragging D1 prices up out of the gutter, at least the well-kept rust free examples.
__________________
-------------------------------------
(I like old, unreliable stuff that keeps me from spending too much time surfing porn)
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-28-2018, 05:21 PM
BDM BDM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 219
Anyone have the old link to the BaT disco? I?m interested to see what a $22k Disco looks like
__________________
2008 LR3 Tonga Green
1992 RRC 4.2 Artic Silver
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me price an '03 Disco please lanceputnam Discovery - Technical Discussions 12 06-07-2012 04:03 PM
Advance Curve jrw9383 Range Rover - Technical Discussions 7 08-06-2010 01:23 PM
Price for a 97 Disco sboada Vehicles For Sale 5 03-12-2009 09:53 PM
Asking price for a Disco msggunny General 6 02-20-2008 05:44 PM
Torque Curve for 4.0L V-8 Michael Discovery - Technical Discussions 0 10-24-2006 12:39 PM

» Log in
User Name Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Password
» Today's Birthdays
jbdisco2 (56)
Yeti (44)
mainerova (38)
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2000 - 2015, DiscoWeb.org. All rights reserved.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.