Hello, I'm new here...and I have bought a Disco 2

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
How is the "lift" measured by these manufacturers, from ground to rocker, ground to roof?

Tires are 265/65R18, about 31" diameter. The truck is 18" off the ground measured to the bottom of the rocker. From the ground to the top of the roof (not the rails, just the roof) it is about 80". Given stock height is just under 77" I'd have to assume I have either a 3" or 4" kit. Are there identifying marks on the springs or shocks that I use as a reference? I'm looking for some kind of stamp and can't seem to find them.

And sure I'd like to trade if mine is in fact more than 2" of lift.

Last edited:

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Try measuring all 4 corners from center of wheel straight up to wheel opening arch. Do you still have the stock plastic wheel arches insttalled?

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Problem is all 4 corners will have some variability and the suspension settles over time so 1” either way is going to be within the margin of error.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
It is 21.75" (front) and 22" (rear) from center of the hubs to the bottom of wheel arch - not the liner (I do have liners but measured to the body). I had been searching for, and found in RAVE that the stock height is 19.7" to "wheel arch [not liner]" and, considering the weight of the ARB front bumper making a slightly educated guesstimation/finger in air of having no idea if I have a 3" or 2" kit.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Laughing a bit as I also ended up testing the tire pressure, 40psi. Merely 25% more than spec. I'm going to deflate and take it for a drive, see if this helps to contain the overzealous steering. Kudos to AbnMike on calling out what may be the obvious issue...it was certainly an issue in general, the tires were nearly square sided they were so full.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Believe that’d be a 3” kit. You may be able to crawl underneath and look for part numbers on the springs

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Laughing a bit as I also ended up testing the tire pressure, 40psi. Merely 25% more than spec. I'm going to deflate and take it for a drive, see if this helps to contain the overzealous steering. Kudos to AbnMike on calling out what may be the obvious issue...it was certainly an issue in general, the tires were nearly square sided they were so full.

Tire pressure certainly helped - it can now steer without feeling crazy. Still not great though, and with the driveshaft vibration thinking the lowering is next.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Settled on a OME shock and spring set to replace the Terra Firma. I'll report back.

That's what I have.....heavy duty spring rates and OME nitrocharger shocks. I just replaced all shocks and the steering stabilizer with new after over 100k miles on the original set.

Everything is available at Expedition Exchange at very competitive prices and the owner, John Lee, is incredibly helpful.

https://expeditionexchange.com/shop?olsPage=t/old-man-emu

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Don't mind Stu....he's a 70 year old Mexican guy who rarely leaves his mother's basement.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
My point was that all of these issues have been sorted. And the answers are here.

Not really. There are a multitude of opinions and the evolution of the opinions over time. This is a common attitude on auto forums, "don't ask because someone answered this in 2008." By this logic, everything has been answered based on the age of the vehicle, and all questions are invalid. Thankfully very few people share this sentiment and the boards persist. But fear not, every board has a grump that thinks of himself as unique.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Not really. There are a multitude of opinions and the evolution of the opinions over time. This is a common attitude on auto forums, "don't ask because someone answered this in 2008." By this logic, everything has been answered based on the age of the vehicle, and all questions are invalid. Thankfully very few people share this sentiment and the boards persist. But fear not, every board has a grump that thinks of himself as unique.

Sassy. The issue with opinions is that many of them are horseshit. I never said that your question was invalid. Only that it has been answered.

And I've got news for you, I am not the only "unique grump" here.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
That's what I have.....heavy duty spring rates and OME nitrocharger shocks. I just replaced all shocks and the steering stabilizer with new after over 100k miles on the original set.

Everything is available at Expedition Exchange at very competitive prices and the owner, John Lee, is incredibly helpful.

https://expeditionexchange.com/shop?olsPage=t/old-man-emu

I ended up buying them from Rovers North who had sent me a 10% coupon for being a new customer and were very helpful with shopping for which of the OME springs were right with this ARB bar and some other stuff on the Disco. I don't think the 10" subwoofer the previous owner installed adds that much weight (though it certainly brings me back to about 1987...)

Discojunky

Apr 20, 2004
Greenville SC
New driveshaft, transfer case, bushings, joints. Freshly sealed motor and transmission. It?s just the ride height that I think causes the issues, whoever put on the kit to lift it did 50% of the job apparently, didn?t install the radius arms or correct driveshaft for the height.

Or so I surmise, this is all fairly new to me. Thanks!

So is this your first 4X4 as well? I bought a stock D1 and had it lifted and it's going to drive different once it's lifted. I went with a 3 inch RTE I drove it up stock and drove home lifted and it's not the same.........just the nature of the beast.

I'm NOT saying it drove bad.......just nothing like stock. That was with all the drive line correction mod's RTE offer too. If someone just threw springs under it it's going to feel even worse.