Recommendations for Synthetic Winch Line/Rope?

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
I'm running, well ran, a Gunnebo style hook on my 3/8" synthetic line with the same style thimble. I had originally just used a shackle, but I decided to go with a hook after I had to winch about 1000ft up a muddy ravine. With that many resets a hook would have been really nice!!!

I believe these are what MasterPull use on their lines. Not all hooks are created equal by any means. How they "fail" is big difference, besides rating. In simple terms the hook you have will fail is a safe manner (opens up slowly) vs. breaking without any warning. In 14 years of instructing, I've yet to see a hook fail. **knocking on wood**

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Still thinking of you. Watch for some packages in the mail from me.

A little late here, but I never got anything dick. Jesus.

I broke a synthetic line this past week during a training. First time in a very long time. Truck was in 2' of mud and rather unexpected.

Now that Superwinch is gone, I am not getting winches/lines with a phone call. So looking for options too. Steve at Southeast is gone and the new guy isn't selling his lines. Fudge.

I am buying up what Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500s I can get at Northern Tool for $309 on sale.

PS: I'm horney.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC

I broke a synthetic line this past week during a training. First time in a very long time. Truck was in 2' of mud and rather unexpected.

Now that Superwinch is gone, I am not getting winches/lines with a phone call. So looking for options too. Steve at Southeast is gone and the new guy isn't selling his lines. Fudge.

I am buying up what Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500s I can get at Northern Tool for $309 on sale.

Steve is still making and selling anything you want. C4RS is his new business. I have a couple soft shackles coming from him.

Reactions: Howski

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Steve is still making and selling anything you want. C4RS is his new business. I have a couple soft shackles coming from him.

I was searching for the email I got from him when he sold SEO. I'll check it out. It's too bad he has partnered with Jimmy King, as he's a known jackass and bullshit artist within the training community and military.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I was searching for the email I got from him when he sold SEO. I'll check it out. It's too bad he has partnered with Jimmy King, as he's a known jackass and bullshit artist within the training community and military.
Dont know Jimmy, but I know Steve is a stand up guy so I have no reservations about doing business with him. Funny enough l literally just got the tracking number from the order I placed with him. Easiest way to order stuff from him as always been to send him a FB message with what you want and he sends you an invoice to pay.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Dont know Jimmy, but I know Steve is a stand up guy so I have no reservations about doing business with him. Funny enough l literally just got the tracking number from the order I placed with him. Easiest way to order stuff from him as always been to send him a FB message with what you want and he sends you an invoice to pay.

Oh I like Steve too and don't hesitate doing business with him. I spoke with him on Friday. But was just surprised he was working with Jimmy.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
What are you contributing the failure to?

Load / age of line or something else?

Thx

The line was about 3 years old and was the syn line that comes on the Superwinch winches. The student wasn't assisting (getting the tires spinning slightly) the winch very well and the truck was really buried. It was a straight line pull, but nothing terrible by the student, other than not assisting the winch very well. Everyone was where they should have been, so no issues on safety/line breaking.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
The line was about 3 years old and was the syn line that comes on the Superwinch winches. The student wasn't assisting (getting the tires spinning slightly) the winch very well and the truck was really buried. It was a straight line pull, but nothing terrible by the student, other than not assisting the winch very well. Everyone was where they should have been, so no issues on safety/line breaking.

Thx. And great to hear everything went well when it broke.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ

Sorry, the Post Office refused my package. Apparently you can't just hand them a Ziploc bag of shit with "Garrett" written on it in magic marker.