Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
For the life of me I don't understand why you would want the tire to swing driver and the door to swing passenger. You building a fort in the middle?

So you can come play kitchen with me, fish!

A swingaway that swings left will let me put a fold down table on the backside, so I can move the coleman burner from the cargo door fold down table to the swingaway, which will open up a ton of table top space, especially due to the propane tank that sits off to the side of the burner. Table top space is a premium in the bush :)

I think I'm going to want the swingaway to open parallel to the bumper, i.e. 130-180 degrees, to give some room back there. Maybe I need some sort of leg that folds down to support the weight when open, and a lock pin to hold it open.

disregard my exhaust pipe in this photo, I have since tucked it in haha

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL

A swingaway that swings left will let me put a fold down table on the backside, so I can move the coleman burner from the cargo door fold down table to the swingaway, which will open up a ton of table top space, especially due to the propane tank that sits off to the side of the burner. Table top space is a premium in the bush :)

I think I'm going to want the swingaway to open parallel to the bumper, i.e. 130-180 degrees, to give some room back there. Maybe I need some sort of leg that folds down to support the weight when open, and a lock pin to hold it open.

What the hell is going on behind the rear wheel arch on the drivers side? I see a garden hose spigot, what other foolishness have you got?

If you lose the drink table and get a proper camp table you'll have lots of room and can have your swing away open normally.

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
What the hell is going on behind the rear wheel arch on the drivers side? I see a garden hose spigot, what other foolishness have you got?

If you lose the drink table and get a proper camp table you'll have lots of room and can have your swing away open normally.

Haha. Since you asked: Dual needle air gauge, air regulator, air QD fitting, thermostatic mixing valve (for water, this is piped into a heat exchanger in the engine bay that pulls heat from the coolant), and spigot w/ GHT quick connect fitting (plug in a shower head I rigged up to the roof rack, or a longer sprayer hose). Opposite quarter panel has a water input fitting, and another air chuck.

To each their own, they were fun projects. I run the engine for a few minutes, and have pressurized 110F degree water :patriot:

I have a plastic fold table (the one for fishing/hunting, has a sink I can plumb the pressureized water to), but its big/bulky. Most of the time I don't need it. A compact fold down table on the carrier would be one less thing to pack and setup, and a perfect place for the stove. The table on the door I made of king starboard, so its slippery and not well suited for the stove.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Pros- custom table only needs 2 legs

Cons- always have to open gate before door, thatll really suck when off camber
-when loading trunk on street tire can swing out and impale traffic
-tire has to stick out to provide table clearance when folded up
-akward table size to clear ladder and tail light

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Pros- custom table only needs 2 legs

Cons- always have to open gate before door, thatll really suck when off camber
-when loading trunk on street tire can swing out and impale traffic
-tire has to stick out to provide table clearance when folded up
-akward table size to clear ladder and tail light

Opening gate is a potential annoyance, but with a quick latch mechanism and a keep-open pin, it's not a big deal.
The rest of the points I don't see being a problem. A drop down plus slide out table like this one https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/drop-down-table-mk11.html
provides almost 4 feet of table top
Tire would have to stick out 1.7" further, depending on final design

Con - your table is filthy after 5 minutes on a gravel road.

Which window on your "rig" is home to your ExPo sticker?

Not a problem, table is just for the stove

I don't have any stickers on my "rig". Why the attitude?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
I had considered adding a pin to the bar on the heim joint linkage like a jeep sway bar disconnect to allow the carrier to rotate all the way out for a storage back there and making trasharoo installation easier, but haven't gotten around to it.

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Good idea. The heims joint is a very clever design. How is your transfer case rebuild coming along? Mine, not so well, all the parts have been sitting out for months now -- haven't found the time yet with work being busy.

With my design, do you think I'll have a weight issue with the tire being so far away from the spindle/hinge? I suspect the wheel center would be ~3 feet away from the spindle. I weighed the tire, 80 pounds. With table and gear I estimate max capacity @ 120 pounds (not including the swingaway weight).
2x4 steel a good call? I think I would have a full width steel bar (~66"), 4" tall, 2" deep, that extends all the way to the passenger side and latches/locks in the opposite corner to not only keep it closed, but also to take some weight off the spindle.

To stabilize the carrier when open, I thought of adding two connecting rods that swivel on the RH side, running parallel to the carrier when stowed, and swivel down to act as legs when open.

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Not sure why they are loading that way. I guess I won't load the other 4.

My computer does the same thing. Please upload them anyway, the carrier looks great. Can you describe what you did, and parts?

It's good to know its possible to do the spindle without a bracket on the GD bumper. Much cleaner and simpler. However, it doesn't have a stop on it so you could smash your passenger side body?

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
It's good to know its possible to do the spindle without a bracket on the GD bumper. Much cleaner and simpler. However, it doesn't have a stop on it so you could smash your passenger side body?

The pics he posted look like its RTE bumper on a D1. Im still waiting to see a swing away on a Greg Davis bumper.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
I did not make this, I bought it. They are now out of business.
The improvements were, powder coat, the paint sucked and it was one of the best things I had done to it. The plastic ends of the square tubing had some plastic, glued in, didn't fit end caps. I searched and found some from a plastics company in England and sourced them from McMaster Carr, they fit great and do not fall out all the time. I drilled and pinned the hi-lift mounting plate to stop the jack base from moving all over. I put a treadmill pad piece down under the jack to keep the powder coat from getting scraped off. I added a removable pin for the swing connector instead of the bolt to access the jerry can storage. The final improvement will be to put a stop on the arm so it will not hit the side body when released from the door, it won't hit otherwise. I have been searching for what I want to do. I like the spring loaded pin idea, just not sure if it works as an afterthought.

More pics...

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
The pics he posted look like its RTE bumper on a D1. Im still waiting to see a swing away on a Greg Davis bumper.

I think the population running that bumper and a tire heavy enough to wreck a door is close to 0

If its still made like the picture then I don't see why it can't be done

CornerDetail.jpg

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I think the population running that bumper and a tire heavy enough to wreck a door is close to 0

If its still made like the picture then I don't see why it can't be done

Well I can tell you there is at least one person... Me! My door hinge is broken from years of having an oversized tire on there and my carrier is cracked. For the last few years its been carrying a 34" tire.

Like I said in a previous post. I have an idea of how to do it, but I was hoping to see pics of someone who had actually done it already.

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Well I can tell you there is at least one person... Me! My door hinge is broken from years of having an oversized tire on there and my carrier is cracked. For the last few years its been carrying a 34" tire.

Like I said in a previous post. I have an idea of how to do it, but I was hoping to see pics of someone who had actually done it already.

Yep, you can include me as well, hence this thread. Here's what happened to my hinge.

K-rover, what are you thinking of doing?

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Yep, you can include me as well, hence this thread. Here's what happened to my hinge.

K-rover, what are you thinking of doing?

My thought was to remove the plastic end cap weld in a thick plate to the top of the bumper and gusset the back. That would give you a good place to weld the spindle to. Ideally I would like to re install the end caps, but trim around the spindle, but again thats just what Ive been thinking could work. I was really hoping to see what others had already done. There has to be at least 1 or two other people who have GD bumpers with a swing away!

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ

Damn, man....you have a lot going on back there.