abs / bell nonstop buzz

Trent and his Rover

Jun 25, 2006
6 months ago I began replacing my 1990 transmission from my 93 donor. It took so long due to throwing out my back. She's now mostly assembled but I've somehow created some new issues:

1. The "bell" that "dings" at startup turns into a solid buzz on the 3rd or 4th ding which doesn't stop and the dash's ABS light stays on solid. Since no ABS technology is present at the transmission and or transfer case, I assume that I may have screwed up an electrical line somehow. I've checked the bell housing to make sure I didn't pinch a wire when bolting her up to the block. I've also check wires in the bay near the pump and all looks well. She has fluid and there was no problem prior to my transmission swap. Also should mention I installed a new pressure switch and accumulator 12 moths back without issue so I think that somehow I'm looking at and electrical issue. Perhaps when tilting the engine back to unbolt the bad transmission something was damaged but I don't see any sign of electrical damage.

Appreciate all suggestions. Thanks.

Trent and his Rover

Jun 25, 2006
sounds like the neutral safety switch on the transfer case.

Bingo! I overlooked this due to no leads on the loom for this switch. Loom features 3 connections but not a 4th for this switch. The 10 million dollar question is where to find this lead wire or where does that lead ultimately connect. Spent 3 hrs looking for this wire to no avail. Appreciate any info. Thanks.

Trent and his Rover

Jun 25, 2006
sounds like the neutral safety switch on the transfer case.

It may be that the 90RRC doesn't feature a connector for the NSS on an LT230. I've stopped looking for a connector.

It may be that the high low harness gets grounded? Anyone have info as to how?

Additionally, there's a couple of other issues. I installed the tranny and then attempted to slide on the transfer case but the TC never seated completely leaving a little less than a 1/2 inch gap (see pic). That prohibited the installation of the H/L shifter which bolts on at the Governor Housing leaving the shifter linkage on the LT230 unsecured. Figured I'd drive it to a shop and have em help me mate them up. Also not sure how or where to secure the item in my 2nd attached photo.

Appreciate any information. Thanks.
Z

2Q==