What will your next vehicle be?

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
The LR3 is a POS. The interior was shit when they were new.

I've noticed you don't like the LR3 :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have also noticed most, if not all, of your gripes revolve around it being "boring" and having a chintzy interior.

I don't believe you've expressed anything negative about the capabilities/reliability of the drivetrain.

Would you say it's a pretty good SUV as long as you don't mind the dull plasticy factor?

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
As for LR3 vs LR4, it depends what you want out of. The LR3 has a more utilitarian interior design (that I like), but lower quality materials. The LR4 uses higher quality materials, but moved to a more pretty boy finishing school design. If you want luxury, get the LR4. If you want industrial design, get the LR3. If you want industrial design AND high quality materials, buy something else.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
It's not too plasticy. They have more soft materials that most vehicles of that age. My Mercedes C350 had more plastic. It's just that they're not the most durable materials. The dashes crack and scratch. Center console chrome delaminates. Roof/side curtain fabrics sag. Mine looked great when I sold it, but I took quite good care of it and repaired small things when they broke.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
It's not too plasticy. They have more soft materials that most vehicles of that age. My Mercedes C350 had more plastic. It's just that they're not the most durable materials. The dashes crack and scratch. Center console chrome delaminates. Roof/side curtain fabrics sag. Mine looked great when I sold it, but I took quite good care of it and repaired small things when they broke.

And by crack, the two I saw with 140K on them, had cracks ALL over the dash. It was horrible looking.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Mine only cracked on the airbag seam, but did so evenly that I thought it was factory for a while. If it's not cracked yet, use some 303 aerospace protectant and it should be fine. If it's bad, get a nice dash cover. If you want a newer LR3, buy a Ford.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Would you say it's a pretty good SUV as long as you don't mind the dull plasticy factor?

The 4.4L V8 is the best motor LR has used by far. I've never even had a valve cover off of one because they just don't leak oil. Compared to a L322 of the same vintage, the LR3 is not that great. Aside from front air springs leaks, the Range Rover suspension never has the severe wear issues that an LR3/4 will have. The Range Rover doesn't have that POS plastic thermostat housing. Range Rover diffs don't fail or even really leak. When you drain the fluid in a Range Rover it looks new.

As for LR3 vs LR4, it depends what you want out of. The LR3 has a more utilitarian interior design (that I like), but lower quality materials. The LR4 uses higher quality materials, but moved to a more pretty boy finishing school design. If you want luxury, get the LR4. If you want industrial design, get the LR3. If you want industrial design AND high quality materials, buy something else.

Sadly, the plush interior of a LR4 holds up way better than a LR3, which in my opinion makes it much more utilitarian.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
So, if one doesn't mind the extra size, it's definitely worth it in your opinion to spend the extra $3-5k for a Jag L322?

That's not the only consideration. When the LR3 first came out I test drove it back to back with the L322. No question, the driving dynamics of the L322 are superior. Plus, it's not really much bigger. Wheelbase might be an inch or two longer than the LR3. I've also spent some time on the trail in and around the L322. With a good set of tires it does surprisingly well. If I was choosing between the two I would get in both and drive them. It's a matter of how it feels and how it makes you feel. You will prefer one to the other. Let the driving experience inform your decision.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Doug DeMuro has an entertaining series of videos on L322 reliability.

He bought a Range Rover from CarMax. In my experience, CarMax gets the junk from auction that Land Rover dealers don't want. If there is a lease turn-in that is clean, it goes on the dealer lot, if it is a shit box it goes to auction.

I have every repair receipt from about 15k miles to present on my wife's Range Rover which now has 150k on it. My mom owned it prior, so most of the repairs I did, or my previous coworkers did once I moved to NYC. The only mechanical issues that come to mind are the radiator, air spring (both replaced at the same time, 1 o2 sensor, a power steering hose (pump is currently leaking), a thermostat, and most recently the a/c compressor. My mom had me replace the air suspension compressor right after she bought it because it was too loud, so it has had an AMK unit for at least 100k miles.

CalebP

Jul 16, 2008
Meriden Ct
I'm thinking of just totally rebuilding my Disco, top to bottom, front to rear, and drive it for another 20 years. I've never owned another vehicle that i have grown so attached to.