My masochism has begun

Longtallsally

Nov 28, 2016
UT
I finally got to cleaning all the crap out of it, papers and other stuff that no one ever bothered to get out. I got a container of disinfectant wipes, found my spray polish cleaner and Resolve for the carpet stains and the Back to Black stuff and when it warms a scoshe will do a full detail.

When I do the E brake boot I'm planing on a continuity test for the switch (assuming no code is stored for another system fault) as well as pop off the shifter cover to see what's the what.

Good news is there is an '02 at the local Pick N Pull that I'm going to cannibalize some interior bits from hopefully (again when the snow and rain stop) and between that and the order from Atlantic British will finish off the interior.

From there, the only functional bit remaining will be the stereo and I think I'm going aftermarket. That is mainly due to how cheap they are. Jeez, I didn't know they were so cheap these days- for $200 you can get a decent unit and the Metra parts to give back the steering wheel controls and fill the gap. The truck has the high end HK deal, but I've not popped in a CD in years in any other car, so just doing BT or USB will be best. Plus being able to answer calls will be nice.

If GBR can sort the Amigos and CEL, I'd say I'm done for a few minutes...

Longtallsally

Nov 28, 2016
UT
OK, so I just got back from Great Basin Rovers. I think it was $150 well spent. The main takeaway was that they think it's a pretty solid truck with only the little things to sort. Based on my list, here is where I am:

- [ ] Sunroof shades- Ordered repair kit from Atlantic British

- [ ] Radio- Going with a Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS

- [ ] Armrest- Great Basin Rovers has a couple parts trucks so I'll get it from them

- [ ] Glove box- GBR

- [ ] Wiper is reluctant- related to the cold- not going to bother right now

- [ ] Rear wiper blade- Just need to get to an auto zone

- [ ] Clock light- ordered from Atlantic British

- [ ] Odometer light- ordered from Atlantic British

- [ ] 3 amigos- SVS needs sorted and they seem to think the left front wheel speed sensor is bad- see below

- [ ] E brake light- related to 3 amigos or the E brake being wonky- I'll sort this out

- [ ] Check engine light- coolant temp sensor may be wonkily wired- I'll sort this out

- [ ] Air bag warnings- hasn't come up again- probably from the cold and no codes were found on it, so whatever

- [ ] Fog lights attached correctly- I'll sort it

- [ ] Vibration from 60-66- GBR saw the new front shaft and think it might just need balancing- might pull the shaft and let them take it to their driveshaft guy

- [ ] Rear view mirror toggle to temp- Sorted

- [ ] Rear step- ordered the strut from Atlantic British

- [ ] Tranny will not manually go into 1st- Yup, a penny...
IMG_0947-XL.jpg

On the Amigos, they said the SVS bypass should be done as there was an error there. Also they said the left front wheel speed sensor is bad.

Question: They charge $350 to do the SVS bypass. Worth it?

They will charge $350 for the wheel speed sensor. I'm hesitant on this one as they said you no longer can get the ones that plug in right there and instead it needs to be wired directly to the computer in the pass compartment. This jive with what you guys know? The ones in there are supposed to be new, but I dunno.

All in all I'll be in for a scoshe over $1k to have the machine to the state I'd like it for a good while.

The only thing to expect will be head gaskets at some point, otherwise a pretty solid machine.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
They will charge $350 for the wheel speed sensor. I'm hesitant on this one as they said you no longer can get the ones that plug in right there and instead it needs to be wired directly to the computer in the pass compartment. This jive with what you guys know? The ones in there are supposed to be new, but I dunno.

That is true, new wheel speed sensors are only available through Land Rover as the overlay harness which eliminates the connection in the wheel well. Personally, I would just cut out that connector, it is only two wires. I've done it a few times and haven't had any issues. Its worth a shot since you'll be replacing it anyway if it doesn't work.

Longtallsally

Nov 28, 2016
UT
Thanks for the confirmation.

So I just cut out the sensor and solder the wires together? I may just let him do it as I just want to get it registered and I'm still in budget even with all this.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
Here is a question on the ABS connections. I've got a 99 D2 that is sitting on a 3inch lift (sits taller as the springs are OME HD). Should I buy the ABS extensions for $$$, or using some wire from a dead ABS Sensor I have laying around and just solder in my own extensions and call it a day? If that'll work I have no problem cutting, soldering and sealing them. Just wasn't sure if the resistance of the wire has to be spot on or it's just a wire is a wire kinda deal.

That's funny about the penny! When I got my first Java Black 02 I had some serious work to do to the interior as an English Bull Dog had eaten the steering wheel, and lots of trim pieces... When I removed the center console I found enough change to wash a good amount of clothes at a laundry mat!

Longtallsally

Nov 28, 2016
UT
I thought you guys might get a kick out of my progress. To say the least, my joy with the machine has not diminished and I'm still having a blast driving it. I baby it a good bit as I'm waiting for the weather to get a little nicer before I tackle a few more fixes and maintenance items.

From my list, this is what I've sorted:

- [ ] Sunroof shades- have the kit to fix- just waiting for it to get a bit warmer
- [ ] Radio- Replaced with a Pioneer head unit that has been great. The speakers sound REALLY good. No splicing, all correct stuff using- still need to program the steering wheel controls
- [ ] Armrest- bolt installed and works perfect
- [ ] Glove box- I've had it out a couple times and have a new latch, but something is not letting it close- still to be fixed
- [ ] Wiper is reluctant- seems somewhat common, and I've gotten them to work as needed when needed, so not going to worry about it
- [ ] Rear wiper blade- I went high roller and even got this at the dealer
- [ ] Clock light- took 15 minutes
- [ ] Odometer light- another 15 minutes (Atantic British sent me the wrong one, so I just got it at the dealer)
- [ ] 3 amigos- "option B" completed by GBR as well as a wheel speed sensor (solder in type)
- [ ] E brake light- this went off, but I disassembled the lever, lubed, and pried the seam to get it to work and the clicker to catch correctly and all is well and it works perfectly. Also replaced the E brake boot.
- [ ] Check engine light- one was the amigos, but still sorting P1117 (just started a thread on it)
- [ ] Air bag warnings- has not come on again and I thought it might be the clock spring, but as it has not come back, I doubt that's it, so I'm calling it a day
- [ ] Fog lights attached correctly- waiting for the warmer weather to mess with this
- [ ] Vibration from 60-65- U Joints are all good and the front is a greasable unit so I think this might be the front shaft needing to be balanced (GBR agrees)
- [ ] Rear view mirror toggle to temp- non issue as it was an electrical glitch from a mirror used in multiple vehicles- temp come on in the HVAC display as it's supposed to
- [ ] Rear step- just the strut needs replaced and I have the part, but am again waiting for nicer weather to replace
- [ ] Tranny will not manually go into 1st- I think I replied on this one, but a penny was caught in there and all is well now

I've completed a good portion of my full cleaning and the truck is still pretty nice once I got the gunk and junk out of it (who leaves papers from 10 years ago in their car????). I mean some of it was rather gross and I used a combination of a number of cleaners, brushes, rags, and wore gloves when doing it all. No more musty smell and it looks pretty nice now.

Other fixes not listed above:
- added the 2 additional hood bolts that were missing
- one of the headlight covers was missing
- fixed (replaced the clip) the fuel door mechanism
- cooling system flush with a new radiator and 180F thermostat and temp switch

I still have a few cosmetic fixes to do like the vents with missing adjusters, the B pillar that was cracked, stuck rear cup holder and a few other bits, but I'm getting there. I'll need to pull the rack and tail light guards and sand them down and paint this summer. I have most of the necessary replacement parts, but as it stands now, I'm just about to where I'm happy.

The last appreciable and functional bit to get fixed is the cruise control. I've tested the plenum, the motor, the lines, and all the other typical sources, but all of that is good. I think my next step there is to break out the meter and check the main computer as well as the steering wheel controls (the light on the cluster surround comes on).

I really do enjoy driving it and don't regret a bit taking the plunge. Thanks to a bunch of guys here for getting me rolling.

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
I really do enjoy driving it and don't regret a bit taking the plunge. Thanks to a bunch of guys here for getting me rolling.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I love driving mine. We have three vehicles in the drive and the rover was buried in the back. I moved them around just so I could take my rover to pick up some pizza. Had to move everything back when I returned but still worth it.

DiscoTech

Nov 18, 2004
Side of the road....
Congrats!! It looks almost my identical to my first Disco. I love these things, and can honestly say they are only vehicles I have never been bored with. Maybe it's because I'm always having to fix them, but whatever.

Mike

Longtallsally

Nov 28, 2016
UT
Thanks, guys. The thing is a hoot even with all the little issues. The radiator was a bit of a pain, but as mentioned in a thread where I whined about it, now that I've been in there and know, it's not a big deal.

Longtallsally

Nov 28, 2016
UT
I've not been on the forum for a good bit, but thought it might be funny to "update" where I am in my Disco ownership.

Sadly, this happened to the catalyst of this thread:

IMG_1812-XL.jpg

IMG_1814-X2.jpg

My own damn fault as I didn't pay attention to tire pressures and going around an off ramp, the tire actually came off the bead with the side load and over I went. :banged: Suffice it to say I know what it's like to have a parts truck now...

Anyway, after a short search of thinking what I'd like to replace it with, I decided my Disco hunger hadn't been completely fed yet, so I got another one. This was another fly and drive- this time to SoCal, and I have to say I did it right this time. There isn't even any surface rust on the frame on this one. I went completely headlong into the adventure this time and have bought a nano com, learned a HUGE amount more, have gone full on geek and actually enjoy reading the RAVE from time to time just to learn about systems.

This is when I picked it up back in December of last year:

IMG_1828-X2.jpg

IMG_1830-X2.jpg

IMG_1836-X2.jpg

I actually paid less for this one than the first and got a way better machine. The particulars are:
- '00 SE7 (non-SAI- SCORE!)
- Rear AC
- SLS (yep, it works, and yep, I love it- hate all you like)
- ACE (yep, it works, and yep, I love it- no leaks either)
- Heated windshield
- Harmon Kardon stereo

I have done a HUGE number of fixes/upgrades to it:
- radiator
- 180 T stat
- flushed out the Dexcool THOROUGHLY to 50/50 green stuff
- flushed ACE and PS systems to the correct fluid
- replaced one airbag in the rear (serious a joke to do and I don't get the hate for the system)
- front driveshaft to a GBR built one (just in the nick of time- and have a rear with new rotoflex to go in as well)
- bunch of little interior cleanup stuff
- fixed front sunroof- rear still to go, but will be done when I do the headliner
- fixed cruise control (motor and actuator)
- installed a BT head unit with the HK amps and such and steering wheel controls and it sounds amazing
- replaced 3 of the 5 door lock actuators
- fixed rear cup holder
- fixed rear center seatbelt
- exterior A pillar trim replaced
- 2" lift and the wheels and tires from the rolled on (yes I monitor the tire pressures like a hawk now)
- CDL from an'04
- Full on custom relay box under the hood wired to OEM switches for rack, bumper and rear)
- rack and light guards from the rolled one (repainted and such)

Whatever, you can probably guess the rest that I'm sure I'm forgetting as it's all the typical stuff, but I really have enjoyed this one and done everything from a 1600 mile week long family trip with it, to towing an employee's ride home for him when it tanked, to some decent off road, to hauling 7 people, to the typical Home Despot runs. I'm totally hooked despite the crap mileage and painfully slow acceleration. Zero leaks too. :D

This is what it looks like now and just a few more pics because I like pics:

IMG_3332-X2.jpg

IMG_3281-X2.jpg

IMG_3275-X3.jpg

IMG_3274-X2.jpg

https://longtallsallygs.smugmug.com/Cars/Land-Rover-Discovery/i-X9GQR7Q/A

IMG_2239-X2.jpg

IMG_2178-X2.jpg

IMG_2183-X2.jpg

IMG_2184-X2.jpg

IMG_2176-X2.jpg

IMG_2175-X2.jpg

Why I love SLS:

IMG_2271-X2.jpg

IMG_2284-X2.jpg

IMG_2340-X2.jpg

IMG_2376-X2.jpg

I know I'm being nostalgic, but I've had a lot of fun with it. And last to do will be world map material for the headliner (just about to start the process), and of course the rear sunroof (assembly is busted and I've got a spare to put in). I still need to replace the windshield cowl and am going to add an oil pressure gauge and I'll be all set. I'm at 155k miles and it still runs great and only uses an acceptable amount of oil.

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
It went from no codes and perfect to right rear wheel speed sensor being bad, to eventually throwing a code for all 3.

I bought my Td5 with the 3 Amigos in permanent residence and they came along on every journey for company until I got my Nanocom which told me a wheel sensor was the fault. Duly changed the sensor and Los Amigos were still there.
Then, Madame left the lights on one night and when the new battery was fitted..... no more Amigos.:eek:

Longtallsally

Nov 28, 2016
UT
Yep, aux lights for rack, bumper (left side), and rear (right side). They light up as the rest of the switches and the wiring is very clean- I’m kind of a bit about that stuff.

Oh yeah, my reward for posting nice things about the latest one? Fuel pump is leaking now... <shaking head> I guess that’s what I get...