Tire Rotation - Then 3 Amigos

Jrod

Oct 8, 2015
Boise
Quick question - Can the process of rotating tires/wheels lead to 3 Amigos plus brake light with 1590 code? About 10 miles after I left the tire shop, the lights came on as I was slowing down. I turned the car off, then on, and the abs light lingered for a little bit, then as I would begin to stop, 3 amigos. I then got into some soupy mud, and the brake light came on as well as the 3 amigos, but now they stay on.

2003 D2, 161k (miles) total miles, hubs have 50k, brakes about 25k. Never have had the 3 Amigos or brake light until after having my tires rotated at Big O.

On a side note, they said to not come back unless I have new lug nuts. Per them, all 23 are swollen which is funny as I have had the wheels off in the last 5k and no issues. Big O rep said they had to beat each one out of the socket. Pretty sure they used the wrong drive socket.

Last edited:

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
They either snagged an ABS line or hit the hub with a BFH! Other than that I cant see how a tire rotation would cause the 3 amigos. Guaranteed they used the wrong socket.

Jrod

Oct 8, 2015
Boise
I was thinking the same thing regarding a hamfisted rotation. I certainly need 20 new lugnuts now.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I took the tin caps off of my stock lug nuts, before I switched to steel wheels. It might not look as good as the shiny stock ones, but then again you never have to worry about messing them up.

geoellis

Dec 7, 2017
Long Island
Don't come back unless you have new lug nuts, and after they ruined them? They should pay for new lug nuts and respect your property.

Jrod

Oct 8, 2015
Boise
The lug nuts are what they are, serves me right for not rotating myself. It's a no win situation with these folks.

Now, I'm pretty unhappy that their hamfisted tech may have caused additional damage.

Swedjen2

Sep 12, 2018
California
That's another reason why I would avoid Big O unless they are the only tire shop within 100 miles.
You'll just have to go in there and boss'em around.

Jrod

Oct 8, 2015
Boise
Complaint registered, we'll see where it goes from here. Time for new lugnuts and seeing if I can locate a diagnostic tool to fix these 4 Amigos.

Now, if only I was paid to be at work, I could take care of buisness.

f'ing shutdown.

The only thing that sucks more than this bullshit are these BFG KO2's. Steer clear of where someone may have spit in the dirt, you'll lose traction.

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
Complaint registered, we'll see where it goes from here. Time for new lugnuts and seeing if I can locate a diagnostic tool to fix these 4 Amigos.

Now, if only I was paid to be at work, I could take care of buisness.

f'ing shutdown.

The only thing that sucks more than this bullshit are these BFG KO2's. Steer clear of where someone may have spit in the dirt, you'll lose traction.

hope it works out for you with the Tire place.

hope you're back to work soon, as well.

and, huh? i have BFG KO2s on my '04 and they are great in the sun, rain, mud and snow.

Jrod

Oct 8, 2015
Boise
Had my fault read, front left sensor broken wire. Cleared the code, made a tight left turn and lights back on.

Crawled underneath to look for the obvious and saw that the brakeline/sensor lines were not in the retainer. On tight left turns the sensor would contact the rim. Wore through the insulation and would short.