Time to put your trucks up for sale, guys!

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
What's going on with that passenger front spring in the second picture? Are those 4" springs progressive, or is that just some strange angle that's screwing with my head?

Cheers,

Kennith

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Are these things on the rise now?

According to the D1 Price Curve thread two threads below this:

Yes.

If you've got a good one.

I think the TreK at $22k and the G4 at $25k are outliers as they are both rare/special vehicles. However the 97 for $11k and my 96 for $15k (I knocked $300 off the final price to the seller since I didn't get the windshield replaced on my dime and didn't like selling something not 100%) show there is an interest in D1s, especially well kept ones.

Not on Dweb of course ;)

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Guess it’s still a few years til I can make some coin on my D2.... Besides the D1 having a more ‘classic’ look, I’d think the D2 is more practical for these high dollar buyers who in all likelihood won’t be doing a lot of serious wheeling where the the D1 would perform better

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I don't think the Disco2 is going to be more practical for anybody. It's just an example of how BMW can fuck up a perfectly good truck.

It's got more cargo capacity and better handling.

Those are platform-specific benefits, and they're big enough to eclipse the drawbacks for some people.

That's why I've got one, anyway.

Cheers,

Kennith

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
There are some trade offs (size v cargo space, Watts linkage) but it’s far from fucked up. Aside from the 4.6 issues it’s the same RV8 lump under the hood

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
There are some trade offs (size v cargo space, Watts linkage) but it?s far from fucked up. Aside from the 4.6 issues it?s the same RV8 lump under the hood

No. Your wrong about that. The quality went to shit on the blocks when production numbers went way up. They brought in more venders and quality suffered. Lots of other shit got changed. It's just a big piece of shit.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
It's a big piece of shit Kenny. But I've never owned one so what do I know?

It's a big piece of shit that has been nearly everywhere it didn't have to cross an ocean to reach. :)

I'll bet you could count the D1s here that have been out that far on one hand; and they won't have been doing it at those speeds, for those lengths of time, and/or without support. Can't count how many times I cursed myself for not shipping it overseas. My DII has taken almost as much of a beating over the years as I have.

I'm left wondering just what the D1 has (beyond styling) that the D2 doesn't. What more can it do?

Nothing, in the end. It's got a better departure angle, but that's about it; and it was a design decision on the DII to increase cargo capacity. Reliability is equivalent, minus the Amigos, which can be ignored if you know how to drive at least as well as a three year old.

Corrected design and construction hiccups don't count. That sort of stupidity can happen to anything, and isn't platform-specific.

The engine issues aren't as wide-spread as people seem to believe, anyway.

Cheers,

Kennith

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
The engine issues aren't as wide-spread as people seem to believe, anyway.

I'll agree with that, but head gaskets should be part of the 60k service on a DII. That isn't the case on a D1. A D1 is much more rebuildable, which makes it a better platform for someone who works on the their own vehicle, IMO.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Shit Kenny I'll break this down for you a little better just because your you. I hate for you to sound so fucking stupid so here.

When the D2 came out in 99 they said it had 10,000 new parts. Different parts that didn't go into the D1.

The door handles and latches got changed and the whole security system was "improved" by the Bavarian brain trust. So they gave it superlock and we here at Dweb had to explain how to break a superlocked door latch. And as a bonus, I got to ask about a thousand people "what window you want me to break?". That's so much fun I think I might do the job for free just to see the knee jerk reactions I've gotten over the years.

The ABS system was "improved" and we here at Dweb got to explain all the ways to fix a shuttle valve problem and we coined the phrase Three Amigos. Since they cheap fucked out the the wheel bearings on the D2 we got all kind of wheel speed faults that usually ended up being a bearing. You know a Buick or Olds front wheel drive car will have the same little shitty wheel bearing the D2 has. The D1 uses a semi floating axle like you find in a 3/4 tone Chevy truck.

The fight over the cheap fucks taking the center diff lock away was pretty sad for me. At that point BMW was going to save money by taking away the center dif lock, but all the internals are still in the t case. Just the nose cone and delete of the lever. Even the shift sincro and what they call the dog or shift dog whatever. Every damn thing needed to lock the center dif but the shifter and the lever. We argued that we needed it to diagnose driveline vibration. We would lock the center dif and remove a prop shaft at a time to eliminate the front or rear drivetrain. They still took it and Ford gave it back to us for the last year. Funny thing about that is we really didn't deal wit a whole lot of driveline vibration till the D2 came out. It was just an added bonus to the double cardin shaft. We would take them out of a brand new truck and I would take it to a truck shop on my way home. They would balance it for us and I would pick it up the next night. We fixed a lot of the early trucks like that and Rover was not liking it because they had some fucking british engineer working on the problem. I fixed it with my highschool diploma they gave me to get me to go away.

The ZF trans we ran in the D1 never failed. The new version they put in the D2 would loose all drive in any range now and then. Not to the point of saying it was common. But enough to notice it was a shitty trans compared to the regular old shit ZF sold us. The Germans must not have wanted to pay as much for the trans. So we got the cheap fuck trans I'm guessing.

Lets just touch on a few more problem areas before I finish.

Crank sensors
thermostats
radiators
throttle heaters
steering knuckle geometry eating tires
spark plug wires
sleeves moving and noisy
cracked blocks behind the sleeves
tail lamps filling with water

I'll think of more Kenny.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Was Dexcool used in D1’s? If not, I’m convinced that is a huge factor in the generally shorter head gasket life on D2’s. Have never had issue between my D2’s after changing to the green stuff.

The watts linkage on a D2 is a limiting factor off road which can be a pain in the ass

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Your right about the dexcool problems. It only protect the surface of the engine if it's in contact with it. The green stuff leaves a slime to protect the surface. So air pockets are a problem. When the engine can't hold coolant it gets air pockets.