RRC Homemade Snorkel

A

AlanB

Here are some pics and info from my attempt at a homemade snorkel. I just couldn't see myself spending $420 for an RRC Mantec snorkel. Parts:

ARB Safari Snorkel Head #000135000 from http://www.4by4connection.com/landrover3.html $55
4-foot section of 3" diameter exhaust tube from local muffer shop $20
3" diameter flexible aluminum heating and cooling ducting from Lowe's $8
two 3-1/2" stainless steel hose clamps $2
1 can satin black spray paint $5
1 can primer $5
Black plastic door panel trim at Pep Boys $5
self tapping #12 screws
Scrap 1/4" and 1/8" thick flat bar

Total Cost: $100

I pretty much followed the directions from this website http://members.optusnet.com.au/thebecketts/rover/rovermod.htm#snorkel but I cut, welded, and ground the pipe instead of bending it. The trickiest part is getting the right angles for the pipe and making the first cut into the decker panel.

snorkel1.jpg

snorkel2.jpg

snorkel3.jpg

snorkel4.jpg

snorkel5.jpg

cptyarderho

Apr 23, 2004
Va
nice work. I have been contemplating this same idea, and I like the simple idea of using 3" muffler pipe. I have seen some parts for a shop vac I may be able to use too...

RKORES

Apr 21, 2004
Lowgap, NC
Have you hooked it up underneath the hood? Any chance you could take some pics if you have? Is the tab on the A pillar the only thing actually securing the snorkel to the body?

Thanks,
Will

A

AlanB

RKORES said:
Have you hooked it up underneath the hood? Any chance you could take some pics if you have? Is the tab on the A pillar the only thing actually securing the snorkel to the body?

Thanks,
Will

I'll take some underhood pics tommorrow, but it looks exactly like the one on the website I linked to.

The tab with four screws is the only thing securing it, its a pretty tight fit through the decker panel and with just the tab it seems to be pretty secure. I am sure another tab could be easily fabbed inside the hood area for more strength.

J

JeffreyDV

Great job, very professional looking. Here are some pics of my shop vac parts snorkel:

Attachments

• snorkel1.jpg
    snorkel1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 332
  • snorkel3.jpg
    snorkel3.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 271

WillTN

Oct 14, 2004
Franklin, TN
www.tnrovers.com
Alan, that looks really good. I think that is what I want to do to my RRC when I decide to put on some type of snorkel.

Also what size tires are those 265/75's? Also what have you done to the suspension?

A

AlanB

Thanks for the compliments guys, hope this helps anyone else thinking about a DIY snorkel.

Will, yes those are BFG MT 265/75/16's, ome 751 front and 781 rear, 1" spacers in front and 1.5" spacers in back, 2" rovertym body lift. Looking to go to 34's like Chuck's.

Orlando

May 23, 2004
Nice, very clean would it have been to hard to bend the pipe to that angle maybe by heating it up with a torch.

WillTN

Oct 14, 2004
Franklin, TN
www.tnrovers.com
Well, I went wheeling this weekend and went through a few rivers and did not have any problems but I was thinking about it if I had probably only had two inches of lift and was on smaller tires that my truck would probably suck in water and stall on me. So I am going to do the same thing to my truck next month. I will probably have to get someone else to cut the truck (Don't think I could bring my self to it, and would probably screw up) but I am going to give it a try.

Plus then I have a good way to get the wires to my rack lights up there.

FB111

Jun 7, 2004
You might want to be careful running a metal hose through the engine compartment with all the wires and the potential for a short.

A

AlanB

alia176 said:
Nice job dude. I have reservations on using dryer alum duct as a permanent solution for such a critical job.

Its not the flimsy 4" diameter dryer alum duct, its the thick stuff meant for heat ducting. Its pretty sturdy stuff. One could probably also use some thick heat resistant flexible plastic hose.

Gordo

Hey Alan

Down in Fl snorkels are a must. Most guys homemake theirs too. We have a great hose shop that makes hoses for our snorkels. It isnt much and would be much more functional and cleaner than the duct work. Great job on the snorkel though. Mine is also a shop vac hose with a vintage VW aircleaner for a top. Gonna make a nice one someday. Gordo

B

Black Mustache

what kinda rear bumper is that?

nice work on the snork, btw