Navigation Issues

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Does the audio cut out when the navigation freezes or are there any other symptoms?

In my opinion in car navigation is pretty useless these days. I don't drive anywhere without Waze.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I would try another map disc first. Just switch one out of another car. I know when the touchscreen isn't getting any data from the nav. system it goes to a grey screen. Displays a message like navigation unavailable.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Yes but I would just try one out of another vehicle. That's a lot of money for a guess. Take one for a test drive and swap it out if you have to. Just make sure its the same year car as yours.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
On another LR Forum you can get a 2015-2016 Updated Map Disc with the latest software on it from Norway for like 40.00 shipped. I've got it on my 06 LR3 and it works flawless.

Got a link?

Nevermind; found it. Now I have to join that shitty site.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I highly recommend the update. My 06 LR3 just had an 08 Disc in it when I bought it so on some roads it just showed me cruising out in the boonies off roading. His Disc updated my software with the latest n greatest 2015-2016 Maps. I just had to select my region and I was good to go.

All software and voice command software lives on the disc. The module is just a DVD player. So if you ever have trouble with voice command not working it could be the map disc.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
My LR3 still had the 05-08 firmware I guess. The disc it came with said 08, but when I got the updated maps it spent like several minutes updating the head unit first, then I had completely different options like 2D/3D and the GUI itself was different slightly.

Well worth the $$ and he sent it out quickly so zero complaints.

Sure. All that software lives on the disc.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
No I deleted all info regarding the disc. People can do their own research.

2008 LR3 Navigation seems to freeze in place from time to time. It will eventually right itself but can be a bit frustrating. The buttons also don't work intermittently. Any idea how to solve this
Just use your cell phone's GPS, or buy a Garmin.

Nevermind; found it. Now I have to join that shitty site.

Yeah a truly shitty site. Updated frequently vs Discoweb 2013 last main page update....

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
You might have a 2012 map disc that was made for your old2006 nav system. I'm not arguing that. Just trying to tell you that the nav system in an 06 stores nothing in the DVD player. It reads it all off the disc. It very well may take some time to read it when you first install it. It also could have some updated menu choices.But all the software that runs that system is stored on the disc.

I know it's hard to wrap your head around this, but people are out there who do nothing but fuck with these systems day in and day out for years and years and years. Those people might know things about that system that you didn't pick up by reloading a map one time in your driveway.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
I never said it stored a damn thing in the DVD Player. It's not a DVD-R/DVD-RW drive. You slap in a disc it reads the maps.

The old 06 disc was truly pathetic. I might as well have put the GPS into off road as it never showed me on a road. The 08 Disc had better maps, but the latest 2011-2012 software and the 2015-2016 maps make it actually usable like a cell phone or Garmin.

I've "heard" with a programmer you can change the settings to allow you play with the GPS while on the move.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I never said it stored a damn thing in the DVD Player. It's not a DVD-R/DVD-RW drive. You slap in a disc it reads the maps.

The old 06 disc was truly pathetic. I might as well have put the GPS into off road as it never showed me on a road. The 08 Disc had better maps, but the latest 2011-2012 software and the 2015-2016 maps make it actually usable like a cell phone or Garmin.

Yes.thats correct. But I thought you were telling me otherwise. But since you have a problem with me you took down any useful info that you had found for other people who might have been interested. I personally don't need it.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, it's a shitty site.

I got what I needed from it; now I'll give it cab fare and a slap on the ass as I send it on its way.

Last edited:

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
There is a guy in the Netherlands that took the latest Land Rover disc, and copied the maps from a new car that the nav is still supported, and made a 2016 disc. It seems to work great. And it's only like $35. I wouldn't pay $100 for an out of date disc.

EDIT. I see this was posted here before and then removed for some reason. Oh well.