Alarm spider / alarm help

This is what im doing and what happens. 96 D1

I want a back up computer for the truck so. I go to the dealer get the computer programed and then take it out of the truck put my original back in and off we go. the disco sits in the drive way for a week and I go to start it. I get no spark. put in the new computer the truck starts and runs. Is there a bypass on these units ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Due to the fact that the truck apparently cranks, it's not likely the spider as that would probably shut down crank, fuel and ignition.

Sounds like it's a 10 AS alarm synchronization issue. You might be able to completely remove the alarm, but I'm still confused as to why it has worked on the trucks that
i know of without alarms.

ptschram said:
Due to the fact that the truck apparently cranks, it's not likely the spider as that would probably shut down crank, fuel and ignition.

Sounds like it's a 10 AS alarm synchronization issue. You might be able to completely remove the alarm, but I'm still confused as to why it has worked on the trucks that
i know of without alarms.

Its a 5 speed i think that is why it cranks

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
I'm thinking the alarm spyder my also be the problem with my DI. From the lr4x4 thread...

"Take a digital voltmeter (DVM) and check if the fuel solenoid (Tdi) or ignition coil/fuel pump (V8) has a 12 volt supply to it by connecting the meter to the relevant blade connector and earth and turning the key to position 1 (on). If there is a 12 volt supply to the circuit, then the fault probably lies elsewhere. (Note that a dry joint may not always provide a perfect break in the circuit; on my own vehicle, it caused a voltage drop at the coil which was only apparent once you started cranking. As a result all appeared OK at rest, but when you tried to crank there was no spark. As I "knew" there was power to the coil, I didn't look at this any further, so it took rather a long time to find out that the power consumption when cranking was causing a voltage drop at the coil, which in turn caused the ignition amplifier module to cut out). "

I'm having the exact same issues. All the other typical "gremlins" (interlock, crank & cam selenoids) test okay.

Crossing my fingers!!

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
This might sound goof but I didn't find the alarm spider in the described location. I thought all 96-98 Discos had them. Could it be in another location or maybe I was just tired and blind.

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
Mines in the same location but an AMR 6428. After removing and opening, I very well may have found my problem. It is completed corroded in the inside. There's no way this thing is working.

Now to figure out which wires to bypass.

And of course...this does nothing to help clear the muddy waters!

Anybody?
Bueller?
Bueller?

Last edited:
If you break out the trusty ETM, you will find a page that shows NAS trucks with, wait for it, here comes the good part, patience fellas, patience, patience... NAS truck WITHOUT the alarm!

Hint, it deals with a black wire with an orange stripe! The crazy African Engineer can enlighten further, if he feels so inclined (he's better at it than I am!).