Would you add the Locker? - Page 2 - DiscoWeb Message Boards
DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 05-19-2017, 07:36 AM   #26
K-rover

Member Trucks
Default Re: Would you add the Locker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest View Post
Almost everyone is talking about the Detroit but not any comparison to the Truetrac which seems to be less intrusive?
And less effective. Trutrac is not a true locker, more of a limited slip diff. Meaning if you get a tire in the air, it won t work very well..
Old 05-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #27
AndrewClarke

Member Trucks

Well if you put "Period" at the end of a sentence it ends the discussion. Period.

Since MM3846 was able to so convincingly end the argument, let's go with his comment of "dual LSDs". Truetrac is an LSD, and in fact the only one I can think of offhand that's available for these trucks. Yes I'm sure there are others.

I must clearly not know what I'm talking about with a Detroit. After all, I've only had one in two trucks, across the last 14 years or so. I've owned and driven them everywhere from the desert in California to wading in rivers over the hood, through mud and snow, etc. I've wheeled extensively with folks with ARB lockers, and seen how they're used, when they work well and when they don't. I actually had an ARB in the front of my Discovery but never got around to plumbing it in so it just operated as an open diff. Even though I didn't end my comment with "Period", I still stand by the fact that a Detroit locker has some advantages over an ARB, just as the opposite is true. For me, when the time came to choose, after seeing ARBs and Detroits on the trail, I went with Detroit, and I'm glad I did. That was in my Discovery, and when I bought my 110 it came with a Detroit in the back.

I've never driven LSDs in a Land Rover and I have no personal experience with Truetracs. If I was going to put traction differentials in another vehicle, for the kind of driving I do at this point I'd be tempted to put a Truetrac in front and rear.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #28
German Gruner

Member Trucks

Hi, I'm used to travel to patagonian snow each winter in order to play with some friends down here. Open axle- and central diff and less tire pressure make a standard Disco 1 just unstoppable

With a Disco 2 there are more buttons, so more options in case of difficults, but as it is a standard vehicle too, one must take care that air suspension is lowered after passing 40kmh...

subir imagen

So When I break in the future some differential, maybe i will install an ARB core because it is more robust than the original, cheaper, behaves like the original and it adds another "life guard" button.

Regards
Old 05-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #29
p m

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rover View Post
And less effective. Trutrac is not a true locker, more of a limited slip diff. Meaning if you get a tire in the air, it won t work very well..
Hell yes it will. Use your brakes. I drove across Golden Crack without any wheelspin.
p m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #30
jwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewClarke View Post
I've never driven LSDs in a Land Rover and I have no personal experience with Truetracs. If I was going to put traction differentials in another vehicle, for the kind of driving I do at this point I'd be tempted to put a Truetrac in front and rear.
My inquiry is specific to general use in both D1 and D2. One will be my moms vehicle so it will rarely if ever have any single wheel off the ground but she does drive in snow and dirt forest roads that could get slick instantly on an otherwise dry day when a storm happens.

I do like the idea of no fuss with the Truetrac, no compressor to teach her about or worry about but basically better traction, maybe this applies more to using Truetrac in a D1 because the D2 has it's computers working on traction control to some extent at least for the above mentioned conditions.

I'll be using the D2 though possibly for full articulation but in reality it's always a day or more of higways or gravel to get to anything where you'd even be in low range. So I'm thinking maybe a mix of ARB rear with Truetrac front... ?
(notable LR3 mods: dual battery, 2nd fuel tank, LLAMS EAS tool for on the fly -/+ )
jwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #31
EricTyrrell
Keyboard Pounder II

KAM makes locking LSD diffs if you can't decide between the two.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #32
K-rover

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by p m View Post
Hell yes it will. Use your brakes. I drove across Golden Crack without any wheelspin.
I use my brakes right now with open diffs to achieve the same. That said. I have F+R Ashcroft air lockers in the way with 4.37 gears.. The price difference between a Detroit and air was close enough that I went with air.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #33
p m

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rover View Post
I use my brakes right now with open diffs to achieve the same.
This is a popular urban myth. Using brakes with open diffs only works in very limited number of cases.
But if you insist that it works, I'll bail out of any further discussion.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #34
mick968

Member Trucks

I've had the (selectable) ARB air lockers for so long I forgot what the advantage of or if (Detroit)? (price?) They (ARB's)are literally "magic buttons" and have been pretty reliable (had a compressor issue once) I'm sure there are other options but can't complain about my ARB experience.

2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2001 Audi TT Quattro
mick968 is offline   Reply With Quote