Need advice on purchase

Killinit123

Aug 25, 2017
Schenectady NY
Hey everyone, I?m kind of new to the forum haven?t posted really anything but have read a lot. I?m looking for some advice on a potential purchase and was hoping Simone could give me some insite. I found an 04 disco 2 for $1500 I got the guy down to $900. The only code that popped up was for the camshaft position sensor, minimal rust on frame and body/interior in rally good position. I drove it around for a little bit and shifts and drives real smooth but would need brakes and rotors. The main issue is that it has a pretty heavy transmission fluid leak and I?m not exactly sure where it?s coming from. So my question is with all this information do you guys think it is worth paying $900 to find and fix the leak? Also how much money do you think it would cost all said and done with best and worst case senator of the extent of the leak?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Kyle

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I'm not Simone, but my guess is that the truck you're looking at is going to reveal more problems than those you have already identified. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Your issues will not end when you fix the transmission fluid leak. You'll keep uncovering more things that need attention. If you don't have the disposable income/free time/both to invest in a seemingly endless series of repairs, upgrades, and improvements, then walk away. Once you get the truck in good running shape then you'll start thinking about a roof rack, suspension lift, bigger tires, and all manner of aftermarket off-roading accessories. It never stops. $900 and fixing the transmission leak is only the beginning.

HoodyLR3

Sep 18, 2016
Hawaii
Similar story. Lr3, neighbor moving, $1600. Worked for a couple months and tranny went. Went down hard. 4 months later, rebuilt tranny for nearly $2700. Engine keeps blowing coil packs... blew out airbag strut going fishing. $1400 for 2” lift coil-over conversion (super easy install). Tires replacing $1000. Back door trunk lid needed a new wire thingy that snapped off (not fun, but easy once you’ve watched enough videos). Still changing coil packs almost every other month (free replacements at oreilly auto parts if they go bad). Tugela is right, it becomes a sickness. All in, I love my sweet a$$ LR3

Killinit123

Aug 25, 2017
Schenectady NY
Thanks for your replies I appreciate the input. Although your not telling me anything I don?t already know in terms of the problems and constant maintenance/fixing that these trucks require. That?s why I was told to always leave something on these trucks broken because the second you fix or think you fixed absolutely everything, that?s when something else breaks. That being said I simply was wondering if $900 is a good base price for an 04 disco with the mentioned ?known? problems which will be considered a project truck? Obviously a transmission leak is a red flag when buying any car or truck but just wanted to know if the price was right to consider this build or if I should try to get him lower, or if I should just walk away and try to find something else?

Thanks again

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
You might do better to save up more money and buy a Rover from the west coast with fewer problems and less rust. Sometimes patience and a bigger investment up front will get you the truck you really want and will be happier with for longer. Don't buy the truck just because it's a low price. Buy the truck you want.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
What's a "transmission leak?" A few drops or a puddle over night?

While Tugela is right, a west coast truck would be better, $900 is not that much money. How much would a west coast truck be? $2+k? Plus transport costs across the country?

As long as you are going in eyes wide open, and know that you have to work on it, $900 for a working truck is a reasonable gamble, IMO.

Killinit123

Aug 25, 2017
Schenectady NY
You might do better to save up more money and buy a Rover from the west coast with fewer problems and less rust. Sometimes patience and a bigger investment up front will get you the truck you really want and will be happier with for longer. Don't buy the truck just because it's a low price. Buy the truck you want.

Thanks again for the input, greatly appreciated. And this does fit the mold of what I am looking for in terms of year make and model. The rust is not that bad especially for an east coast truck it?s origibally from Florida so really no winters except for the past two years up here. Also I?m not going to buy the truck just based off of its low price what weighs more heavily is it?s potwntial at the low price. Thanks again!

Killinit123

Aug 25, 2017
Schenectady NY

While Tugela is right, a west coast truck would be better, $900 is not that much money. How much would a west coast truck be? $2+k? Plus transport costs across the country?

As long as you are going in eyes wide open, and know that you have to work on it, $900 for a working truck is a reasonable gamble, IMO.

Transmission leak is quite heavy I?d say more of a puddle in a few hours if running. I know it?s a risk to take but like you said $900 isn?t that much and if I took a loss it?s not like I?m missing my mortgage payment. While looking for a truck from the west coast does sound enticing your right, I didn?t consider transportation costs until you said that. So I think I?ll stay looking locally if I don?t end up picking this one up. Thanks again

Johnaddalia

Mar 29, 2018
New Jersey
Big puddle might be a cooler line??? Hard to say without crawling up under it. That brings me to ask you of your technical ability. If you are able to fix 75% of the things that go wrong, and believe me, things will go wrong, then a Rover is for you. If you have to keep paying for the repairs, no matter how simple, then it will nickel and dime you to death. There's always a "fixing curve" whenever you purchase a used vehicle to get it to a dependable state no matter what you buy.

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
$900.00. Worst case scenario, it turns into a pile and you part it out for what you’ve got in it and probably more. Just a thought. Buying a car whether 1k or 50k is always a crap shoot.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN

One of the rare times i agree with SGaynor. You cant get it much cheaper then 900 bucks. If you are going into it wide eyed and want to work on it yourself i would say go for it. Worst case you sell it in a few months for 500 bucks and you have had more then 400 dollars of fun...

The second question is does it call to you? If you can stand and look at it for like 3-4 minutes and just imagine where you are now and where you want to be i say jump right up!

Reactions: W2TF