service menu shows low oil after 8l oil change?

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I changed the oil in my '13 LR4 using a new filter and 8 liters of oil. After running it at idle then letting it sit shut down for 10 or more minutes the service menu shows the oil level to be minimum. What gives?

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
Nevermind. Seems LR requires the hood to be open while performing the oil level test. All is good at max level.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
The hood doesn't need to be open to check the level, the vehicle just needs to be sitting for 10 or more minutes. You can bypass this by opening the hood and hitting the cruise control cancel button two times while trying to view the oil level.

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I'd waited 10 minutes the first time and over 20 the second time. Maybe I did something else to cause it to indicate the proper oil level. I just don't know as all I did different was opening the hood.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I've had issues lately unless I have the hood open. Not sure why. Hitting the cancel button twice with the hood open will always work. I've been doing a lot of that lately because I'm working with a lot of apprentices.

Get good at checking the oil. This engine will give you no warning that it has 0 qrts of oil in it. I've worked on the 5.0 since it came out. I've seen 2 cars sent out with no oil in the crankcase and each one went 27 miles before they seized. Good times.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Get good at checking the oil. This engine will give you no warning that it has 0 qrts of oil in it. I've worked on the 5.0 since it came out. I've seen 2 cars sent out with no oil in the crankcase and each one went 27 miles before they seized. Good times.

I recently had a 2018 SVR RRS come in at 6k miles and it was 6.5L low on oil. Fortunately that is within Land Rover's spec.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I recently had a 2018 SVR RRS come in at 6k miles and it was 6.5L low on oil. Fortunately that is within Land Rover's spec.

Now that I use an extractor and all the top down shittery. I've seen a lot of cars prettty low. Today I had a 5.0 in a 12 sport that went 30,000 since the last oil change and it had about 3.5 qrts in it.

Jagfixer

Feb 25, 2008
Millstadt, IL
Now that is total negligence in any car. 30,000 mile oil change. Those are the type that would bad mouth, both, the dealership and the manufacturer.

Maximumwarp

Mar 22, 2015
Fairburn GA

We've been having issues with the Chryslers that use the Fiat 2.4 motor consuming oil. According to Chrysler, it's perfectly acceptable and within spec for that engine to burn a quart of oil every 1k miles. And the oil change interval is 7k miles...