covering license plates

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
Probably since there are so many assholes who call about a used car.
Best car dealer story I've heard somewhere(maybe here)was a burner phone used in the add and once car was purchased the burner phone tossed in the glove box of sold car.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
First red flag in a for sale ad. Obvious seller is trying to prevent ability to run carfax now that these can be run from plate numbers.

Nonsense.

You're going to end up handing over the VIN anyway so, the Carfax, if one is desired, will be run one way or another.

I pixelate license plates. Every little bit helps online.

It looks terrible to use one's thumb, though. When I see that I skip right by, because if the idiot isn't bright enough to at least just tape a piece of paper over it, I don't want his car.

Why not take it off? Some people will suspect the car has been sitting and will never call, as a result. On that subject, a burner phone is a good idea on Craigslist.

Cheers,

Kennith

WeBeCinYa

Feb 25, 2016
NC
Nonsense.

You're going to end up handing over the VIN anyway so, the Carfax, if one is desired, will be run one way or another.

I pixelate license plates. Every little bit helps online.

It looks terrible to use one's thumb, though. When I see that I skip right by, because if the idiot isn't bright enough to at least just tape a piece of paper over it, I don't want his car.

Why not take it off? Some people will suspect the car has been sitting and will never call, as a result. On that subject, a burner phone is a good idea on Craigslist.

Cheers,

Kennith

Why cover it then if you will have to give the VIN ultimately? Covering the plate is some urban legend some goofy ass came up with. Red flag for me. Hide the plate why not hide something else too. Carfax allows unlimited plate searches when you buy a package. Only a handful of VINs can be run under one subscription purchase. I'm sure these guys hiding plates are hoping you don't run the VIN before you own it.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Why cover it then if you will have to give the VIN ultimately? Covering the plate is some urban legend some goofy ass came up with. Red flag for me. Hide the plate why not hide something else too. Carfax allows unlimited plate searches when you buy a package. Only a handful of VINs can be run under one subscription purchase. I'm sure these guys hiding plates are hoping you don't run the VIN before you own it.

You only give the VIN to the few parties that are interested.

A picture of your license plate is there for the entire internet to see for many years, and is immediately associated with quite a bit of information. It doesn't take too much to get hold of someone's modern, networked life. Why make it easy for the assholes? Two seconds in Photoshop and the problem is solved.

Cheers,

Kennith