Jerry Can Refurb

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
I have a couple of old jerry cans that need a cleanup. One has some material flaking off the interior. I can't tell if it is old fuel or the liner. What is the best product to clean out the old crud inside? I have seen everything from water and nuts and bolts to some expensive chemicals. Does anyone refurb these or is it not worth it?

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
It's a process that's probably not worth it for jerry cans, but this is something I've used on old, irreplaceable motorcycle fuel tanks. In my experience, it's the only way to stop the corrosion/flaking that will clog your fuel filter.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer_p_64.html

For crumbling jerry cans, I would just toss them. Not worth the effort unless you want to pour through a filter every time you use it.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Old fuel tanks and cans can be a bit of a bear, but they can be repaired.

Depending upon how bad the interior is, you can fill it with solvent, boil it, media blast it, or just about anything else.

The inside can be re-coated with a number of materials commonly used in restorations, and obviously you can do pretty much anything to the exterior. Find a powder coater in your area and ask what they think. Pretty much anything you're going to do will be right up their alley.

I think it's worth repairing them. The whole point of a nice fuel can like that is to buy it once, keep it maintained, and use it as long as possible. If you just toss them, you may as well buy cheap crap.

Cheers,

Kennith

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
It's an older Wedco can. IIRC, they went out of business due to frivolous lawsuits. The can itself is in great condition, but it appears the liner is peeling. I probably won't know more until I run some sort of cleaner and degreaser through it.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
It's an older Wedco can. IIRC, they went out of business due to frivolous lawsuits. The can itself is in great condition, but it appears the liner is peeling. I probably won't know more until I run some sort of cleaner and degreaser through it.

Blitz was felled by lawsuits that also hit Walmart. If anyone ought to be sued though, it's the State of California. They're responsible for creating an environment of heightened risk for which consumers were unprepared. Fuck California.

I don't know what happened to Wedco. They had an extensive catalog of molded products bringing in the bacon, and someone did buy them, but I'm not entirely sure what they've done with the entity as a whole; if they kept it at all.

Wedco was big into rotational and blow molding; absolutely massive. They made perhaps the best crappy cans on the market, as well as having their branded NATO Gucci line available for people who gave a shit. I've wondered a few times who was actually manufacturing their metal products.

Cheers,

Kennith

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
... If anyone ought to be sued though, it's the State of California. They're responsible for creating an environment of heightened risk for which consumers were unprepared. Fuck California.

Cheers,

Kennith

California can eat a dick for their requirement of gas cans with the 'push to pour' spout. they fail more often than not and spill more gas than the old rubber filler necks from my youth.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
You can still buy the old open flex-hose necks on eBay, etc. I just bought a couple for some new cans that I picked up.