Got the transmission out- now have questions...

Paul K

May 1, 2004
La Grande, Oregon
All:

'95 V8 auto. Would only go in reverse, no drive in any forward gears. Did some research, which said transmission is likely shot. Bought a used one. Removed the transfer case & noticed that the Hi/Lo shifter linkage was broken off. Cannot get it to shift out of high range, despite tapping the lever (on the tcase). Then decided to start the rig, & engage forward & reverse & see if the output shaft switched directions. Despite having a good battery & the shifter being ion Park, it wouldn't even try to start. Questions:

Should I be able to manually shift between high & low range on the side of the transfer case with it removed?

What is likely the cause of the not starting? O2 sensors are disconnected, as are all the transfer case sensors.

Is there any other way to see if the transmission works in forward? (Without installing the new transmission)

Can the transfer case that's stuck in high be fixed? If not, how much for a used one?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Paul.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Of course it an be fixed. You have a solenoid in the t case that locks out that shift unless the trans is out of gear. I do work in a steelership so I could be very dishonest about this kind of stuff. Maybe you should find someone who works at someplace more trustworthy, like Firestone maybe?

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
You'll have to have all electrical connections plugged in before you can check things out. There are solenoids and interlocks involved. Did the t-case work when you took it out? Then it should still be OK. [Oh, it's spelled "Stealership" by the way...].

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
You'll have to have all electrical connections plugged in before you can check things out. There are solenoids and interlocks involved. Did the t-case work when you took it out? Then it should still be OK. [Oh, it's spelled "Stealership" by the way...].

I find the only people who call it that are the ones too stupid to fix stuff themselves. Most of them just want to use that computer that tells us whats wrong with a car. Maybe figure out a way to blame one of those scumbag mechanics for some problem they have. You know the old "ever since". Fuck that guy anyway, he makes like $140 an hour,he can stop what he's doing and fix this for Me.

Paul K

May 1, 2004
La Grande, Oregon

Thanks, my next plan was to plug everything in & see if 1) the transfer case worked, then 2) the rig would start.

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
I find the only people who call it that are the ones too stupid to fix stuff themselves. Most of them just want to use that computer that tells us whats wrong with a car. Maybe figure out a way to blame one of those scumbag mechanics for some problem they have. You know the old "ever since". Fuck that guy anyway, he makes like $140 an hour,he can stop what he's doing and fix this for Me.

I think you're doing what these other folks are accused of, "lumping all together in a mass". Yes, mechanics like cops are all 'tarred with the same brush' when only a few are at fault. I know of folks who have been screwed by the dealer service dept.; dishonest?, inept?, or honest mistake? When someone is spending 1000's of dollars for a repair they should get what they pay for; when they don't , all dealers are suddenly crooks. The people I know that went to the dealer did know what was needed and either from lack of time, place to work, or lack of proper tools, trusted their cars to the dealer. You know as well as I do that some people are mechanics in name only, you've probably worked with some. Are there 'Absolute Dicks' that are supposed customers? There sure are! Anyone in the know, knows the dealer himself makes most of the money for a repair. Is any of this a reason to be a troll when you could actually help someone out?

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
Pull the 4 bolts retaining the solenoid housing. Remove the Solenoid from the housing. Apply sealant to housing and reinstall. It should go between hi and lo with little resistance though you may have to rotate the output yoke slightly.