255/70/18

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Anyone running this size on a D2? Seems like a narrow 32" option for the 18" wheel and there are many tire choices out there. Have searched here and Google without much information. Thinking this size might be a good option for my ~1" of lift

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
275/65R18 = same size.

I've ran that size on several of my D2's. I was able to get a set of 5 brand new Jeep JK/JKU 255/70R18's for free and I use them as my street set. With 1inch lift it'll be close, but it should be fine.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Thanks. I'll probably be adding trim packers as well. Hopefully that paired with the narrow width will alleviate any rubbing issues

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
275/65R18 = same size.

I've ran that size on several of my D2's. I was able to get a set of 5 brand new Jeep JK/JKU 255/70R18's for free and I use them as my street set. With 1inch lift it'll be close, but it should be fine.

Thanks. I'll probably be adding trim packers as well. Hopefully that paired with the narrow width will alleviate any rubbing issues

on factory alloys, i'm betting something as wide as 275/65-18 will certainly rub the radius arms because my 265/75-16 do so- and enough to loose an annoying amount of turning radius.

255/70-18 however ought to be very good fit and possibly not rub at all or very much.

had i known my bfg at ko would rub so bad on the p38 16's, i'd have just gotten the wider offset steel wheels because now the only solution is spacers which i try not to use too often. guess it's the same stress on hubs though regardless of how the tire is set out wider.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
255/70R18 (32.1x10/18) & 275/65R18 (32.1x10.8/18). That little difference doesn't rub at all with the stock LR 18inch rims. I have a set of 275/65R18's on stock LR Hurricane 18inch rims with no spacers and no rubbing at all on any radius arms.

It also depends on which steering stops your D2 is running. LR had two different sizes. It was supposed to be the shorter ones for the 16's & slightly longer ones for the 18's, but I've seen them mixed all sorts of ways.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
255/70R18 (32.1x10/18) & 275/65R18 (32.1x10.8/18). That little difference doesn't rub at all with the stock LR 18inch rims. I have a set of 275/65R18's on stock LR Hurricane 18inch rims with no spacers and no rubbing at all on any radius arms.

It also depends on which steering stops your D2 is running. LR had two different sizes. It was supposed to be the shorter ones for the 16's & slightly longer ones for the 18's, but I've seen them mixed all sorts of ways.

1/2" can make all the difference needed. It is not the wrong stops, the turning radius is noticeably wider but I've also gotten used to how crazy tight my lr3 turns.

There was never a problem with the 18's. It is my understanding that these factor alloy are the same rim width 8", so the stop length idea makes no sense to me in this instance - what are you trying to suggest?

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
also, it's not the section width that matters much here, it's the tread width. We were talking about different things. the 275/65 tire is a lot wider than a 255/70, it just is. i have had both in front of me here.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
I have em mounted on a D2 and ZERO rubbing when turning lock to lock. The OP has a D2 not a LR3. LR3 is a completely different beast with IFS.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
no shit the OP is asking about a D2, I wrote about mine. Also no shit the lr3 is IFS.

Mine most likely rub because they are on 16" p38 wheels that must have closer offset.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
Mine most likely rub because they are on 16" p38 wheels that must have closer offset.
Like I said above earlier there are two different size turn stops on D2's and it was supposed to vary depending on what the D2 was equipped with be it a 16inch rim or 18inch rim. They make a very big difference in lock to lock clearance and turning circle radius.

I've had the short turn stops with Kumho 265/75R16's run at full lock, but slap just one lock washer under em = no more rubbing. I've also had a D2 with 18inch rims turn like the RMS Titanic due to the longer turn stops so I grabbed a set of the shorter ones at the junk yard (you can also just make your own shorter ones with a spacer & bolt)

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
i see you changer your post....don't be a bugger...obviously i don't have an 18" tire on a 16" wheel.

however, my 265/75-16 is 100% identical in dimensions to a 265/65-18 so the only difference would be the wheel offset and width.

My d2 is an Se that was ordered with 18's. i don't use the 18 right now. so, apparently it has the short steering stops because with the stock wheel and tire, the radius was not so bad considering the solid axle design

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
Yep I had scroll up to see your tire size. Try removing the turn stops and just installing one washer under each one. One or two should solve the rubbing.

LR was not at all consistent on where the long or short turn stops ended up. I took a few pics of the 275/65R18's on my D2 with the stock longer steering stops and the tire gets 1/2 an inch from the arms.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
Have you done anything interesting with your lr3?

Today I am almost done with refinishing the kaymar bumper and swing arm after having it on there 10 yrs and some other things.

I am in the process of actually functionally fitting a 34" bfg km2 onto the lr3 right now. Already did all the normal fender space mods but took them a bit further and replumbed some of the rear hvac lines.

This weekend custom adapting some Defender mud flaps and taking care of that tight area the fairly useless factory mud flaps cause behind the rear tires. I'm going to try tucking in a thin one up front too. The tire actually clears just about all points even in access height. It's the 285/70-18 on factory 18. Sure wish I could get spacers in there as it would look so hot but alas, I'll have to be happy with form following it functioning ;)

I had also tet fitted the 255/80-17 and it worked better of course with it's nearly 2" narrow tread width, but it just seemed too crazy narrow for this vehicle. I know in my mind it's not true as that tire is rated to 3200 lbs or more, but it just looked so skinny and I actually do a lot of highway or gravel roads for hours before getting to somewhere the skinny would be preferred. I'm also just really used to seeing a more proportional tire on it.

Next phase with the D2 I'll for sure go with the 255/85-16 though after I lift it 2" if that's enough.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
Anyone running this size on a D2? Seems like a narrow 32" option for the 18" wheel and there are many tire choices out there. Have searched here and Google without much information. Thinking this size might be a good option for my ~1" of lift

I meant to ask, why aren't you considering the slightly wider 265/65-18? It'll fit just a bit better not being quite as tall with the minimal lift. My D2 has OME "medium duty" springs which are about that amount too.

Maybe best4x4 can answer about the offset on the 18 vs my ps8 16 but if the 18 huricane is any amount wider offset, then it will fit pretty well. I do know that the 265/65-18 is an ideal tire shape to rim width match being very 'square' with no over-bloating like you see when people try using an overly wide tire on a rim not really meant to hold it. If you value the vehicle handling at highway speeds, the more square proportion of tire to wheel width is best.

Your 255-70-18 idea would be fine too, but it's maybe a tad bit tall for only 1" lift.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
I haven't done much with my LR3 yet as it's my wife's D/D. I have plans one day as I grabbed one with a rear locker. I've tweaked a few things and I have the LR Roof Rack for it, but nothing serious.

I've been messing with my 99 D2 lately and modifying the rear door aluminum panel I got to hold misc gear that normally just rolls around in the back.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
I meant to ask, why aren't you considering the slightly wider 265/65-18? It'll fit just a bit better not being quite as tall with the minimal lift. My D2 has OME "medium duty" springs which are about that amount too.

Your 255-70-18 idea would be fine too, but it's maybe a tad bit tall for only 1" lift.

Have considered the 265/65 but prefer the skinnier look. I was able to find a photo of a D2 with 255/70's and like the stance. It will allow me to run a little taller tire as well. Like I mentioned, I'll probably throw some spring isolators on as well for some additional clearance