Looking for input/opinions on thining the heard.

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
Bought the wife an A6, now I have a 04D2 and a 08LR3 that I need to make a decision on which one to keep. The funds will be put into my 77 S3, and finally get it back on the road.

Both have similar mileage, around 120K. I tow a 19ft center console boat with both. Rarely go off road anymore, but plan on going camping with the family more and drive on the beach occasionally.

The LR3 is great, but not as great as the D2. I'm also worried about the cost of maintenance over the long run.

I love the D2, much more than the LR3, but it doesn't have the 3rd row seats (nice, but not required). Less cargo space. Power-plant more prone to failure. Possible frame issues (now that we are seeing D2's chassis rot), worse gas mileage (not a factor really as I have a 20 mile daily commute).

Just looking for thoughts. Guess i am trying in a vain attempt to justify keeping the D2....

Dangeruss

Mar 28, 2007
Ontario, Canada
You don't say where you are but the effects of nature (and road salt) can't be any worse on a D2 frame than in Southern Ontario. I've had an '04 D2 for 10 years and just bought another identical one for parts, which is my daily driver at the moment. My original one has a rust hole in the frame near the right side cat and there are several other places where it is ugly, but not yet a concern for failure. The second one is within a few hundred for VIN # and has similar mileage but the frame only has light surface rust, literally a coat of Rustoleum would probably get another decade out of it. The guy I bought it from also had an '07 LR3 in his driveway, dead with transmission problems.
I've never driven or worked on an LR3 but the D2 is pretty easy to get parts for and to repair, and it sounds like that's the one you want. Sell both and buy a nicer D2 if you are concerned about the longevity of the one you have, and get an SE7 if you need the seats.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Keep the D2, you know you want to. Besides, you'll get more play money out of the LR3.

wjsj69

Oct 11, 2017
Delaware Co. PA
If you keep the D2, you'll need a backup for when (not if) it needs a major service that needs time to address.. from what I've heard/read, D3's are more reliable albeit more expensive when repairs are needed. This from a D2 DD (with a backup). All is moot when the heart wants..

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
get rid of the d2.
it's now 13 years old.
based on land rover's direction, they won't be making parts for it forever.
yes, the LR3 costs more to fix, but it breaks less often.

i calculated cost per mile for all my cars; the LRs were more expensive per mile for repairs & maintenance than any of the other cars.
not by a huge amount, but they were more expensive.
they were more likely to shit the bed and leave someone stranded, which is why i drove them, rather than anyone else in the family.

but you do what you do.
no one is gonna say "told you!" when you have an issue.
:)

Some Dude

Feb 12, 2009
Boise, ID
Two years ago I made the decision to jettison the D2 and keep the LR3. For what it's worth, I wish I still had the D2. The LR3 is WAY better for towing and is nicer for long road trips, but it just doesn't have the character of the D2.

nickb857

Apr 21, 2004
Las Vegas
Keep the D2. I'm getting back into driving mine around regularly. It's fun to drive around, plus there aren't many out there. You will get more for the LR3 when you sell it.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Guess i am trying in a vain attempt to justify keeping the D2....

What is there to justify? Rover ownership as a rule is a matter of heart over mind. If we approached the situation rationally we'd all own Land Cruisers. Ask yourself which one makes you feel better when you drive it, when you look at it, when you think about it. Keep that one. If you keep the LR3 and it never gives you a whiff of trouble you will never feel satisfied with the decision if your heart really wants the D2. On the flip side, you may regret keeping the D2 if it gives you major headaches, but having a short memory is essential to sustainable long term Rover ownership.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
I’m going to look at a LR3 today for a friend. I’ve never driven one but I’m worried I’ll end up liking it. What are the biggest things everyone misses between the D2 and LR3?

Follow up, they are certainly apples to oranges but I did enjoy both. Will probably spring for an LR4 at a later date

Last edited: