2006 Supercharged?

helievacpilot

Mar 29, 2007
Denver CO
Looking at a 2006 Supercharged with 94k miles. Private owner.

Anything obvious to look at before we go the next step of a pre-purchase inspection?

Thanks.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Looking at a 2006 Supercharged with 94k miles. Private owner.

Anything obvious to look at before we go the next step of a pre-purchase inspection?

Thanks.

Look to see that the check engine light is off and all the readiness tests have passed. They get vac. leaks down at a fitting on the throttle. So they get lean faults. You gotta replace the throttle. Also get problems with the supercharger water pump causing reduced power messages and big time loss of power till you cycle the key. Niether one of those problems would keep me from buying one, but could cost a couple grand to sort out.

Hit some speed pumps to get the rear suspension to jounce and listen for a high pitched noise from the rear suspension. That would be the bushings at the top and bottom of the knuckle back there.

Look at the lower corners of the radiator. They like to leak and that could cost you at least 800 bucks. You can look over the top of the plastic shield under the radiator.

It's probably got a locking rear diff. So I would want a good code read on the whole vehicle to make sure it doesnt need a rear diff motor.

Trans fluid likes to leak out the rear of the trans pan and the connector sleeve that is at the rear of the trans on the passenger side. That wouldn't be to bad as far as cost. and it's pretty easy to do on the full size Range.

So for sure I would get a dealership to do a full vehicle scan for fail codes. It would be worth your money. If the thing has no check engine light on you need to verify the rediness tests have been completed. They could be just turning off the check engine light before they show it to people. So that being said, if you see that he's trying to do that to you, low ball his stupid ass.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
You are talking about a full size right? Sports have a whole nother list of shit to look for. But it looks just like the list for a LR3 with a few added things for the supercharged add ons.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
You are talking about a full size right? Sports have a whole nother list of shit to look for. But it looks just like the list for a LR3 with a few added things for the supercharged add ons.

Stew, pls see my new thread on "for 70 yr old mom, H6 subaru outback vs lr3 vs 04 D2" thx.

On the above checking list, I'd say also try to see if sunroof drain is free flowing and if not, then has there been any water ingress into front right floor/wiring.