Anyone in Bozeman?

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
You'll love it there. I spent a summer in Livingston and went to Bozeman just about ever other weekend if I wasn't in Yellowstone or the general area. The main drawback to the area is that it is very isolated. I think the closest big city is SLC and that is a hike. But I am partial to areas like Whitefish/Glacier National Park. You'll need to head up the Going to the Sun Road in the summer.

You better be cool with cold ass winters too. I spent just a few weeks there as well in the winter, so you better like skiing and/or other winter activities.

Eliot

Feb 4, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Thank you both.

I was speaking with an old friend, and his first question was "what are you driving?"

"You don't want to break down when it's -30."

Aside from time, what's the drive to SLC like? And what are roads like in that area in the Winter?

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
I lived between Bozeman and Butte for a few years, just moved this past August.

Winter there is much better than on the East coast. The temperature reads colder, but feels warmer. I've been outside in the sun on 20 degree days in a t-shirt raking leaves. I've been camping and woken up to 6" of snow on the ground, 30 degrees outside, and shirtless building a fire.

It didn't hit but 15 degrees here in WV once this past winter, mostly stayed in the 40s and we were fucking freezing and miserable for 3 months.

Bozeman is booming right now, and crazy freaking expensive. Don't move there expecting 40 acres and a cabin for 100k. You're looking at townhomes and condos in the 300s.

Montana roads are great. They plow them constantly.

Bozeman is very hippyish/skibum/snowboarder types. But it's a big city (for Montana, I mean it's no NYC) and there's anything you could want there. The even have an excellent Korean BBQ joint and one of the best Habitat Re-stores I've ever seen.

Not sure what kind of info you're looking for. I can't imagine SLC has anything Bozeman doesn't.

Eliot

Feb 4, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I lived between Bozeman and Butte for a few years, just moved this past August.

Winter there is much better than on the East coast. The temperature reads colder, but feels warmer. I've been outside in the sun on 20 degree days in a t-shirt raking leaves. I've been camping and woken up to 6" of snow on the ground, 30 degrees outside, and shirtless building a fire.

It didn't hit but 15 degrees here in WV once this past winter, mostly stayed in the 40s and we were fucking freezing and miserable for 3 months.

Bozeman is booming right now, and crazy freaking expensive. Don't move there expecting 40 acres and a cabin for 100k. You're looking at townhomes and condos in the 300s.

Montana roads are great. They plow them constantly.

Bozeman is very hippyish/skibum/snowboarder types. But it's a big city (for Montana, I mean it's no NYC) and there's anything you could want there. The even have an excellent Korean BBQ joint and one of the best Habitat Re-stores I've ever seen.

Not sure what kind of info you're looking for. I can't imagine SLC has anything Bozeman doesn't.

I'm really happy I made the jump. Bozeman is awesome. I've been out in the mountains almost every weekend for the last two months.

Should have moved west ten years ago!

Question for you, did you run winter tires out here? I'm getting conflicting information from my coworkers.

Eliot

Feb 4, 2008
Bozeman, MT
You'll love it there. I spent a summer in Livingston and went to Bozeman just about ever other weekend if I wasn't in Yellowstone or the general area. The main drawback to the area is that it is very isolated. I think the closest big city is SLC and that is a hike. But I am partial to areas like Whitefish/Glacier National Park. You'll need to head up the Going to the Sun Road in the summer.

You better be cool with cold ass winters too. I spent just a few weeks there as well in the winter, so you better like skiing and/or other winter activities.

Glacier... Glacier is something else. I was really blown away.

Best park I've seen now.

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
I'd move to Bozeman in a heartbeat! Winters aren't really as bad as it everyone says. They are long and cold but the dry air doesn't "freeze" you like it does down south. It's a bad ass town and if you fish you'll be in heaven!!!!!!!! I counted almost as many drift boats as I did anything else!

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Love Bozeman. Like Emmodg said, it's an epic fly fishing area, one of my best friends is out there for 10 days on the river right now. I never fly fished when I was out there, but snowboarding was amazing. Bridger, Moonlight, Big Sky, and Yellowstone club are all drivable from Bozeman, and great areas. Also, Boiling River is worth doing plenty.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Glacier... Glacier is something else. I was really blown away.

Best park I've seen now.

I spent some time in that park in the summer and winter. XC skiing there for a solid day in the winter and then staying at Isaac Walton Lodge. They had rail cars you could stay in over night. http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/lodging/cabooses/ Lots of great downhill skiing around the area of course - we spent our time on the Big Mountain and Fernie just across the border in Canada. But Going to the Sun Road is really a must - it's gorgeous. And a great way to head up to Banff and Lake Louise.

Eliot

Feb 4, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I spent some time in that park in the summer and winter. XC skiing there for a solid day in the winter and then staying at Isaac Walton Lodge. They had rail cars you could stay in over night. http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/lodging/cabooses/ Lots of great downhill skiing around the area of course - we spent our time on the Big Mountain and Fernie just across the border in Canada. But Going to the Sun Road is really a must - it's gorgeous. And a great way to head up to Banff and Lake Louise.

How late is the road open? I didn't get a chance to see the Canadian side when I went up.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
How late is the road open? I didn't get a chance to see the Canadian side when I went up.

I know the open date fluctuates, but I don't remember when it shuts down. I've been up and down it a few times, but go when there are the least amount of people. Last time I went it was pretty ideal and I believe that was late summer on the way to Banff. Banff is pretty amazing too - skied all the resorts - Sunshine, Banff/Norquay and Lake Louise. Summer as well with tons of hiking (and points north), hot springs, etc. Stay at either the Rimrock or Banff Springs - new/old, but the Rimrock has a far better view/setting. You'll think it can't get any better than Montana parks, but then you'll discover the Canadian rockies. :)

Eliot

Feb 4, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I'm really loving it out here. It's been an awesome move - I only wish I'd come sooner.

On a practical note, I found winter tires were a must buy. I drive the Gallatin Canyon a couple days a week, and it can get treacherous. We have Hakkapeliitta 9s on our work vehicles, and they've been fantastic. There are a couple of trucks with old Hankooks, and they just feel skittish were the Nokians feel planted.

I've got Hakkapeliitta 8s on my LR3, and they've been fine.

I've been going to Autostop in Bozeman for the things I can't do myself, it's expensive, it's one of those places that serves coffee and will drive you around town, but they've done a good job.

Last edited:

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
I'm really loving it out here. It's been an awesome move - I only wish I'd come sooner.

On a practical note, I found winter tires were a must buy. I drive the Gallatin Canyon a couple days a week, and it can get treacherous. We have Hakkapeliitta 9s on our work vehicles, and they've been fantastic. There are a couple of trucks with old Hankooks, and they just feel skittish were the Nokians feel planted.

I've got Hakkapeliitta 8s on my LR3, and they've been fine.

I've been going to Autostop in Bozeman for the things I can't do myself, it's expensive, it's one of those places that serves coffee and will drive you around town, but they've done a good job.

Sorry, didn't see this earlier.

We put winter tires on the Rav4 when we had it because it was an underpowered POS.

I never put winter tires on the Silverados (we had two) and didn't have a problem (but also didn't take them up any kind of snowy forest roads. For interstate and in-town travel they were fine.

My 87 Land Cruiser and 96 Land Rover just kept whatever mud tires were on them. I just drove a bit more cautiously on-road. Off road I just let air out and was fine.

Glad you're enjoying it. I'd move back to Montana on the first train running that would allow me to pay my bills.

Go to Butte for two things this coming year:

St. Patrick's Day

Montana Folk Festival

Get up to Great Falls in the spring when the rivers are flowing. Stop by the Sip 'n Dip Lounge for mermaids.

Lolo Hot springs near Missoula is fun, too. Been around forever and was in "A River Runs Through It"