Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 01-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #6801
Blue

Member Trucks
Default Re: Donald Trump Rally in Colorado Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGaynor View Post
No, I'm just not naive enough to think that your company deciding to give you a one-time $1k bonus, presumably due to the tax cut, is cause for great celebration and that it means that America is back on the path to prosperity (as if it ever left it).

Based on my 20 years in corporate America, here's why I think the $1k bonuses are PR stunts:
  • No CEO wakes up in the morning and announces that everyone gets a $1k bonus, unless she's Oprah. Those are thought about and discussed for months. You think the tax bill was signed and the CEO decided to give everyone a bonus? More likely, those bonuses were coming - they just grabbed some good PR.
  • The bonus $ is small compared to what those companies have spent in the last ~5 years on stock buy backs. If they were really about improving their workers lives, they'd have gotten more than the 1.5-2.5% pay raises. (Ex: BoA announced in 2017 they were going to spend $17B on stock buy backs; the bonus? $145M
  • The effects of the tax cuts don't take place until tax year 2018 - so that is $ that the companies are paying out assuming more income in the future (ie, lower tax bill). I've NEVER heard of a company (Fortune 500) taking out loans to pay employee bonuses today; take out loans to pay the dividend? Yep. Employee bonuses? Please...

It's not "jealousy" when I poo-poo Brian's excitement that it's Morning in America again, just because some companies are handing out table scraps to their employees, while cutting benefits for those employees and spending vast amounts on (arguably useless) stock buy backs and CEO bonuses.

Then again, maybe it is just a sign of the times that most people just pay attention to that shiny object and ignore the real story.
Shit man, of course it's a PR stunt! But at the end of the day all those employees get an additional $1K and morale goes through the roof.

Remember back when Obama was diddled the country with his massive stimulus bill and we were all calculating what it amounts to for each individual citizen, each individual adult citizen, each individual adult tax paying citizen, etc.? I still think that stimulus would have been better spent by sending each of us tax payers an equal cut of it.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #6802
seventyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I have a question....Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?

i assume the same reason all our ancestors came here...they wanted to leave a shithole country and/or they were tired of never having more than what they had.
you know the whole land of opportunity thing.

why do norwegians not want to come here? maybe it has something to do with them being taken care of when they are sick, want education, or retire???
Old 01-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #6803
D Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyfive View Post
i assume the same reason all our ancestors came here...they wanted to leave a shithole country and/or they were tired of never having more than what they had.
you know the whole land of opportunity thing.

why do norwegians not want to come here? maybe it has something to do with them being taken care of when they are sick, want education, or retire???
I was in a Hispanic chuch over the weekend. I saw an illustration one of their Sundays School classes had done - it was a photo of a guy and the caption read, "I came here to seek riches, but found God instead". So I assume they come for the money.
D Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #6804
SGaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chapman View Post
It is now clear as to why you're a few years here, few years there kind of employee and not upper management material in these corporate companies you've worked for over the last 20 years.
I guess a decade plus qualifies for a "a few years"

Whatever.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920SF View Post
Fitness to lead. This is what you wanted. Now you have it.
Govern.
SGaynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #6805
seventyfive

Quote:
I was in a Hispanic chuch over the weekend. I saw an illustration one of their Sundays School classes had done - it was a photo of a guy and the caption read, "I came here to seek riches, but found God instead". So I assume they come for the money.
bingo!

every professional i know, doctor, financier, etc, ALL come here to make better money.

but the salvadorans and other cenrtral/south americans we see in frederick come here to escape the drug wars and gangs...shit holes!

we can debate all day long if our war on drugs helped create the environment and if so then yeah we should be allowing them to flood in etc. south americans are our syrians, if we had an ocean between us and south america they would have a hell of a time getting here.

finland has it right. even if my wife spoke fluent finnish, had a doctarate in english, and they needed positions filled they will not grant her a work visa unless they can not employ a finn. they must be racist!! wait a minute if finns are white and my wife is white how is that racist?? does not matter in our current cultural climate...our culture is making it extremely difficult to state facts or an opinion backed up with data and context.

like i posted, am i racist for calling camden a shit hole? to some i am to some i am not. i lived 20 minutes from that place, i know more than some blogger in oregon...but it no longer matters.

somebody needs to explain to ALL media the difference between race and nationality. if a chinese person is born in africa, they are african. their race is still chinese. saying africa is a shit hole is not racist, it is not appropriate for the president to say but it is not racist. i did not hear all his dialogue which is to say he probably followed up with something ignorant.

America. Come for the money, stay for the God!
Old 01-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #6806
SGaynor

Quote:
Probably has nothing to do with capital spending. Probably nothing to do with the global economy (Europe or Japan or even Brazil and Argentina), either. Additionally, I doubt higher revenue and earnings at companies such as Boeing, CAT, Apple, Visa, or Walmart have anything to do with it.
I guess you're right - it's those great earnings.

So why are P/E ratios at historic highs? Hint: If the earnings were supporting the price, they wouldn't be high.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Govern.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #6807
SGaynor

Quote:
Shit man, of course it's a PR stunt! But at the end of the day all those employees get an additional $1K and morale goes through the roof.
That was my point - get something small, go nuts. The modern equivalent of the Roman "bread and circuses." Give the people something small to distract them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGaynor View Post
Then again, maybe it is just a sign of the times that most people just pay attention to that shiny object and ignore the real story.

Quote:
Remember back when Obama was diddled the country with his massive stimulus bill and we were all calculating what it amounts to for each individual citizen, each individual adult citizen, each individual adult tax paying citizen, etc.? I still think that stimulus would have been better spent by sending each of us tax payers an equal cut of it.
On that I agree. Gov't shouldn't be in the business of picking winners, aka, market specific subsidies (wind vs nat gas, solar vs coal, etc.)

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Govern.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #6808
ERover82

Looks like it's time for Dan to update his avatar. #WEGOTTHIS