DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 PM

I'm finally getting around to re-seal the trans case, however I'm not sure the best route to go to a: remove it; b: rebuild it; and c: avoid long downtime of the truck. I am leaning towards getting a second one, taking my time going through it 100% then swapping them. That way I can still use drive around with the old one if needed.

Is there much to this or is the hardest part removal and refit into the truck?

I see AB has the front and rear output flanges in separate kits, I assume both of those would be required or just the seals?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:09 PM

I did my wife's '99 D2 about a year ago. Picked up the AB kit and changed out the seals and some of the gaskets and used new lock nuts on the old flanges, not too difficult. While I was in there I put in a new transmission tail shaft seal, and also put D1 diff lock linkage on it (not so easy). If you want to do a complete rebuild and then install, it would save some down time and you would be sure of what you had internally. There's a good video on YouTube, look for: "Land Rover Toolbox Videos", or consult a manual such as "RAVE".