Wooden cribbing blocks

Chuckwagon976

Dec 5, 2013
Ft. Worth, Texas
Cribbing blocks look to be more stable than jack stands, and if built correctly adjustable. Need to replace my Tcase and don't want to worry about a weight shift while under the truck while monkeying with it.

Chuckwagon976

Dec 5, 2013
Ft. Worth, Texas
All of the homemade cribbing blocks seem to be used on mainly cars that weigh much less than a rover, just wondering if anyone has built any differently that handle the weight well.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Buy a sheet of high-quality 3/4" or 1" plywood and cut it into 8"x8" squares. It will last you a lifetime.
Alternatively, a long 6"- or 8"-wide oak board cut into squares will work for a while, but even oak will eventually warp and then crack under load.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Buy a sheet of high-quality 3/4" or 1" plywood and cut it into 8"x8" squares. It will last you a lifetime.
Alternatively, a long 6"- or 8"-wide oak board cut into squares will work for a while, but even oak will eventually warp and then crack under load.

I've had the same 1.5" thick X about 6" X 5" piece of plywood on my floor jack for almost 20 years. It's actually two pieces of 3/4" thick screwed together. I use it as a bit of a spacer on top of my jack saddle and it also conforms a bit to whatever surface I'm jacking up such as the rounded underside of a diff housing. It creaks, cracks, and groans every time but it's still going.

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA
Need to replace my Tcase and don't want to worry about a weight shift while under the truck while monkeying with it.

From memory, to slide out a combined trans/t-case assy, I needed ~24-inches of clearance at the sill. To get this I left the wheels mounted and added about 8 inches of cribbing below them.