Paypal Scam?

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Quick question for y'all:

I just logged into my Paypal account and I was surprised to see the balance....I sold something online a couple days ago for $95 and that amount was in there, less the $7.20 I transferred to the USPS yesterday to print the shipping label.

But there's another $200 in there and I dug down and saw that some chick transferred $200 to me on December 23rd. No other details, no mention of what it's for, no merchandise reference, etc. Just her name, her email address (gmail) and a transaction ID number. I checked my gmail account which is what I use for paypal and sure enough, there's a you've got money email from December 23rd (I don't check gmail often). No other references to any paypal transaction.

I can't think of any reason someone would transfer $200 to my paypal account. I have no idea who this chick is...

Could this be some kind of scam?

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
Is your email potentially common or easily confused with something else? I have repeatedly gotten emails from some other guys father or grandfather because he has the same name and a similar email. It's irritating having to tell the guy I'm not related to him and I don't care about their reunions and family goings on.

I also got emails when another guy with the same name signed up for job search and application website and couldn't spell his email correctly. Spent hours on the phone with the company to try to get them to resolve the issue and provide me the actual guys contact info (he was a real person, not an identity thief). They refused so I reset his account passwords and effectively removed the account from the system.

On another note, I also received order confirmation and shipping information from a company that made mini popcorn. Pipcorn or something. They were very helpful and even sent me free bags of the stuff since I hadn't ever heard of their company. Kids loved it.

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Not sure if that's a scam or not, probably accident.

On the other hand, someone created a Paypal account with my exact Gmail account, without the "." between my first initial and last name in hopes of getting payments from people that write it incorrectly.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Funny thing is that the $200 has been sitting there for 1 day shy of a month and I've received no other emails or notifications about a mistake. You'd think this chick would say, "oh shit, I paid to the wrong account" shortly after making the mistake. Perhaps it's just a mistake that ended up plopping $200 in my lap. Perhaps I should contact paypal and seek resolution. Perhaps I should transfer it to my bank account, take out the cash in $1's, and hit the strip club.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Maybe I'll donate it to Trump's Wall campaign in the name of SGaynor.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Funny thing is that the $200 has been sitting there for 1 day shy of a month and I've received no other emails or notifications about a mistake. You'd think this chick would say, "oh shit, I paid to the wrong account" shortly after making the mistake. Perhaps it's just a mistake that ended up plopping $200 in my lap. Perhaps I should contact paypal and seek resolution. Perhaps I should transfer it to my bank account, take out the cash in $1's, and hit the strip club.

Staying in Paypal's good graces is worth it. I swear it feels like they've got a naughty and nice list over there.

I can't think of any other reason I'd get such obsessively good support out of an entity that large. Over time, they just started to "take my word for it" if I have a problem. American Express is kind of the same way. I get the feeling, though, that it doesn't work that way if you're on the wrong list.

Those are the bills I pay first every month. :rofl:

I'd call them up and/or send her a communication illustrating that you may have "misplaced or overlooked" the order, and ask what the nature of the transaction might have been. I know sometimes when things drag on I get surprise packages and presents at times.

Turns out I just forgot I'd arranged something.

Cheers,

Kennith

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I had a scammer try to steal a ton of money from my mom not long ago. I saw a $1 charge to her account one month and forgot to ask her about it. About a month later the same scumbag tried to take $5,000 and some change. I think I would be more concerned about someone dinking you for a small amount to see if your watching.

I would take the high road and call pay pal.