LED headlights for D1?

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
my grand cherokee has 4 lamps; 2 low, 2 high.
i put the LEDs in my low positions, which required a bit of plastic-cutting to allow for the heatsinks.
the high ones wouldn't fit at all since i would have had to remove so much plastic, the 1/4-turn latch would be gone.
the heat sinks are big, and close.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
my grand cherokee has 4 lamps; 2 low, 2 high.
i put the LEDs in my low positions, which required a bit of plastic-cutting to allow for the heatsinks.
the high ones wouldn't fit at all since i would have had to remove so much plastic, the 1/4-turn latch would be gone.
the heat sinks are big, and close.

It may be true, in which case I'll try them in 6024 housings on a Classic. If they don't fit there either, back they go to Amazon.

bnmack1

Apr 14, 2014
Ga
UPDATE: I bought a set of LED lights off Amazon and it is like night and day! So much brighter. Fit great and I am very impressed.

They are the LASFIT H4 HB2 9003

Nice upgrade. Any night time pics? I'm curious about their brightness.

glester

Jul 11, 2017
Seattle
If you look up the model lights that I purchased on Amazon, you'll see people that have posted reviews. I did some research and found a set on Amazon that had some review from somebody with a Disco. I found the ones I bought and it had a review from somebody with an early D2 (with the same headlight housing as D1). It was early in the review list for me...so it shouldn't be hard to find. The think about the LED lights is that they might look great in one car, but not in another. I agree with the person that wrote the review that has the D2; these lights work great in the D1 and early D2 headlight housing.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
How'd these work out?

OK, some results are in.
In a word, ridiculous. In several, I don't know yet.

High-brightness temperature H4 halogen bulbs in Hella E-code 6024 housings in a Classic:
Low beams:

P1250319A.JPG

High beams:

P1250320A.JPG

LED bulbs in the same housings: remember that these are "rated" at 3000K low beams, 6500K high beams:

Low beams (next to a Toyota Echo with LED bulbs in factory housings designed for halogens):

P1250325A.JPG

High beams (next to the same Toyota):

P1250326A.JPG

The light distribution on both high and low beams is far better on the Classic than on the Toyota - but I am not sure about LED vs. halogens.

Yellow headlighs look ridiculous, and they don't feel right. Maybe I get used to them (if I don't get pulled over), more likely - not. I need to ask people I drove behind how good or bad these lights blind the drivers ahead. Visibility for me - definitely worse than with the halogens, but it is very hard to say in any quantitative manner.

Fit - no issues; however, there's no way to waterproof the housings short of RTV'ing the hell out of the mounting surface and around. Definitely far worse than H3 bulbs with the rubber boot around them.

Stay tuned...

Rocky

Apr 23, 2004
Red Sox Nation
I tried a pair of allegedly glare reducing glasses for night time. Yellow lens stuff. Total junk. The color itself was a distraction.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Yellow headlamps ARE ridiculous and don't look right. Must be in France.

Section 25950 of the California Vehicle Code states: "Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be white or yellow for those visible from in front of a vehicle."

Je suis un Californien.
Tu et un Californien aussi.