UK delivery of NAS D1?

cmb

Mar 17, 2009
NH
I made a strange discovery after removing the windshield glass from my '94 5-speed: several old parking stubs had collected at the forward edge of the dashboard, and they are from different locations around London and in France between 1998 and 2002.

I bought this truck from North Carolina and it's a NAS (as far as I know). Did Land Rover offer UK/European delivery of NAS vehicles for Americans who wanted to use them in Europe? Or is it more likely that this one was exported back to the UK after being sold new in the US? It's traveled quite a bit, in any case.

--Colin

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
It could have been purchased in the US and shipped overseas. In some cases the State Department will ship personal vehicles of Foreign Service Officers to the country where they are stationed. It's kind of a drag, though, because it used to take 3 months for transit and tours are typically only 2 years, so you are potentially without your car for 1/8 of your posting. Transit times may have changed in recent years. More often than not Foreign Service Officers tend to buy vehicles where they serve - frequently from each other when there is a staff rotation.

It strikes me as odd/unlikely that a Foreign Service Officer would have a NAS Land Rover shipped to England for a tour. It's not like they are hard to come by over there. That would be like a diplomat from the British Foreign Office shipping a RHD Ford Focus to the US for a posting.

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
That's why I suggested they bought one direct from LR when stationed overseas. You don't pay taxes there, you don't pay taxes here if you possess it for long enough before shipping it back and you get a slight discount.